Follow Friday and 'The Heir of Redclyffe' by Charlotte M. Yonge

I haven't done half of what I planned to do this week but I'm just going to hope Fate carries me through! Please Lord... Anyways, it is also Friday which means there's some great memes out there which you can join in today! The first one is Follow Friday, hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee. This week's question was suggested by The Paperback Princess:

How did you  come up with your blog title and address? Does it have a special meaning for you?

Great question! Initially I started my blog as a way to write down some of my thoughts on the books I read for school. I chose the name because I realized there were so many books out there that I hadn't read or even heard of. For me, the title works on two different "levels". On the one hand, there is a whole "universe" out there which is full of books and stories which I want to read. When I see my blog title it reminds me to expand the search for my next read to include something different. On the other hand, words can craft whole universes. Authors create lives, galaxies and beauty through words and I never want to forget how magical words are.


Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. This week's question was suggested by Elizabeth over at Silver's Reviews:

Does the title of a book make or break your choice to read it?

I wouldn't say a book's title is a 'make or break' factor, yet I have to admit that if a title is utterly dreadful I am less likely to pick a book up. Wait.... let me start again. Although a title isn't necessarily a 'break' factor, it is most definitely a 'make' factor. If a book has an intriguing title I will definitely pick it up and read the back. It is one of the first things that grabs my attention. Also, and this is slightly awkward to admit, if a title is terrible I might be to embarrassed to talk about it, in which case I won't be mentioning it to anyone!

This week I'm using another 100 Classics read which I have wanted to start for quite some time. It's The Heir of Redclyffe by Charlotte M. Yonge.
The Heir Of RedclyffeFirst published in 1853, The Heir of Redclyffe was among the most successful novels of the century, equalling even the work of Dickens and Thackeray in popularity. The story of a clash of personality between well-born cousins, Guy Morville and Philip Edmonstone, the plot focuses on Guy's spiritual struggle to overcome the darker side of his nature. Philip's sinister insinuations about Guy's character almost thwart Guy's marriage to the gentle Amy, yet despite their bitter feuding the novel reaches an unexpected and dramatic conclusion that vindicates romantic virtue, self-sacrifice, and piety, epitomizing the period's nostalgia for an idealized chivalric past. Adopted by William Morris and Burne-Jones as 'a pattern for actual life', Guy was a popular role model of noble virtue, while Amy is the ideal Victorian wife - redeemer and inspirer, support and guide. The Heir of Redclyffe is a virtual paradigm of the trends of thought which characterized the middle decades of the nineteenth century. It is deeply marked by the influence of the Oxford Movement, an aspect explored by Barbara Dennis in her Introduction to this unique critical edition.
Book Beginnings and Friday 56 are hosted by Gilion over at Rose City Reader and Freda over at Freda's Voice.

BB:
'The drawing-room of Hollywell House was one of the favoured apartments, where a peculiar air of home seems to reside, whether seen in the middle of summer, all its large windows open to the garden, or, as when our story commences, its bright fire and stands of fragrant green-house plants contrasted with the wintry fog and leafless trees of November. There were two persons in the room - a young lady, who sat drawing at the round table, and a youth, lying on a couch near the fire, surrounded with books and newspapers, and a pair of crutches near him.' p.3
I like this beginning. Setting is majorly important for me and when a novel is quite clearly centred around a house I like getting a feeling for the place. I like Yonge's description of the house and how she shows it to us in different seasons.


F56:
'"He expostulated with all his might; but at nineteen he could do little with a determined sister of twenty-seven; and the very truth and power of his remonstrances must have made it leave a sting."' p.56
I feel slightly sorry for this younger brother since he should not have to try and convince his sister. On the other hand, this woman should be able to do as she pleases. I feel like this book will get me quite worked up.

So, that is my post for today! How important are titles to you? And what was the inspiration for your blog title?

Comments

  1. I wonder what he did to get crutches. You're right though, sometimes simplicity is best.
    I added you to the Linky. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when books make you curious from the get go! Thanks for adding me and for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed the description in the opening. Sounds like a lovely home. I'd keep reading to find out more about the youth and the reason he has crutches.
    My Friday post features SOMETHING ABOUT MAUDY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great description and I basically want to live there now! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I'm impressed with the descriptive writing here,especially large windows facing the garden. Sounds like my home! I would read on about those siblings. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so jealous of your home if it looks like this! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I liked the opening...especially being surrounded by books.

    My Friday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/04/friday-focus-friday-56-book-beginnings_24.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books are crucial to interior design I believe! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. Do check out my FF: http://bookstopcorner.blogspot.in/2015/04/feature-follow-10-my-blog-name-story.html/


    Old Follower

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the same way about titles. It's not necessarily make or break but it is what makes me consider it at all for the most part. I haven't heard of the Heir of Redclyffe but I love the excerpts. I'll have to ad this to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog title! :) Seeing others titles always makes me wish I would have been more creative. :)

    Titles can some times break it but mostly it's the cover for me..lol.

    I need to start reading more classics. Maybe I should do a classic a month or something. :) Hope this one doesn't rile you up to much..lol.

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe join the Classics Club! I did and it's partly the reason why I read so many classics :) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  8. Amazing concept for a book blog name! New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the name of your blog and you are so right - talented writers can craft such amazing universes for us to get lost in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cozy drawing room in the beginning made me want to sit down and join in....or at least watch them from this vantage point. Setting is important to me, too.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your blog title is very original and unique and I like it! New Bloglovin and GFC follower! Here is my F&F post: http://mountainrhinestones.blogspot.com/2015/04/feature-and-follow-5-featured-blogger.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is a big age gap between the two. Words can sting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your blog name and the story behind it!

    My FF: http://onceuntold.blogspot.com/2015/04/feature-follow-friday-blog-titles.html

    Old follower.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your elaboration on the title of your blog, it makes me really appreciate the infinite number of books and words that we have access to :)

    Titles don’t have much of an influence in my deciding factor either, but I can see how a terrible or even embarrassing title may prevent me from reading the book.

    The introduction to The Heir of Redclyffe is very welcoming and you can immediately feel the climatic change in the 56! I would probably be a bit agitated with a pestering character too.

    Wishing you a lovely weekend Juli!

    Sparrow's Friday Meme's

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I read about the boy, I thought of The Secret Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never heard of this but the snippets sound like it's a must read.

    Check out my 56 (with Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete
  17. From your snooping around have you figured out why this book which was so popular in its day hasn't stood the test of time like Dickens and Thackery's works? I am currently read the Woman in White by Wilkie Collins and I've been wondering the same thing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the opening and you've got me curious about how he ended up on crutches. I've not read this author.

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/04/24/the-friday-56-59-cut-me-free-by-j-r-johansson/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great answer about the title not making or breaking your decision.

    I am seeing so many good answers.

    Have a great weekend.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, your explanation is so awesome because it's exactly how i feel.
    Also i agree sometimes a book's title is a factor in me picking it up that also includes the cover,sometimes weird book names turn out to be the best!
    New Follower via Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  21. That 56 sounds interesting. I hope you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your blog title's double meaning is great. Words really can create some amazing new universes and there are so many great books in our universe that it's hard to come across them all. We should always be trying to expand our reading circle. :)

    Old follower!
    My FF!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I did a couple of discussion posts about titles. I dislike confusing, all-the-same titles. I like unique and clever ones! However, the title is not the main attraction of a book for me. My own blog title was inspired by the city of Seattle (where I grew up) and the land of Oz (where I spent a lot of my reading time growing up).

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love it! Love the story behind it as well.
    Old follower
    Check out my blog name story here!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really do like your blog name:)

    New follower via GFC

    Shilah @ Paper Selections

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts