Follow Friday and 'The Emperor's Waltz' by Philip Hensher

It is the Easter weekend! That means egg-hunts (although I've never done one of those), chocolate eggs and above all, it is now seasonal and therefore acceptable to watch 'Jesus Christ Superstar'! Best rock opera ever!


Follow Friday is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee! This week's question was submitted by Second Run Reviews:

Have you ever had a reoccuring dream? What was it?

I did for a while! I had this reoccuring dream where I would simply be sleeping or dozing and it was the most relaxed dream I have ever had. I'd be on a beach, casually chilling in a hammock, or be experiencing one of those amazing Saturday mornings where the sun is peaking through the windows and you're still dozing in bed, just enjoying the free time. I miss those dreams because it felt like I was getting double the sleep!

Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer! This week's question was suggested by Elizabeth over at Silver's Review:


Is there one book you will NEVER forget?

Oh God, there are so many books I will never forget, or at least that I currently think I will never forget. There are certain key moments in my life which I connect with books for which reason I will always remember them. One is Pride and Prejudice  by Jane Austen, which was definitely the starting point for my fascination with English Literature. Similarly, The Lord of The Rings  kick-started my interest in Old English for which I owe it my life-plan! Aside from that there is Wuthering Heights , Frankenstein , Burning Your Boats: Collected Short Stories  and The Fountainhead . Those wee all crucial books to me and I just realized most of those were written by women... go me!

This week I'm sharing a book that I can't wait to get into. As soon as I have finished The Great Zoo of China  I am starting on this one! This book is The Emperor Waltz  by Philip Hensher.
The Emperor WaltzThe new novel from Booker Prize-shortlisted Philip Hensher is his most ambitious and daring novel yet.
In a third-century desert settlement on the fringes of the Roman Empire, a new wife becomes fascinated by a cult that is persecuted by the Emperor Diocletian. In 1922, Christian, a young artist, travels to Weimar to begin his studies at the Bauhaus, where the avant-garde confronts conservative elements around it. With postwar Germany in turmoil, while the Bauhaus attempts to explore radical ways of thinking and living, Christian finds that love will change him for ever. And in 1970s London Duncan uses his inheritance to establish the country’s first gay bookshop in the face of opposition from the neighbours and victimisation by the police.
Delving deep into the human spirit to explore connections between love, sanctity, commitment and virtue, Philip Hensher takes as his subject small groups of men and women, tightly bound together, trying to change the world through the example of their lives. The Emperor Waltz is an absorbing echo-chamber of a novel, innovative and compelling, that explores what it means for us to belong to each other.
Doesn't it sound good? Book Beginnings and Friday 56 are hosted by Gilion over at Rose City Reader and Freda over at Freda's Voice.

BB:
'"You will have brought your own towels and bedlinen," Frau Scherbatsky said, in her lowered, attractive, half-humming voice, "as I instructed, as I suggester, Herr Vogt, in my telegram. Other things I can supply, should you not have them for the moment."' 1%
I really like this beginning. I want to kow who Frau Scherbatsky is, why Herr Vogt needs towels and bedlinen and who Herr Vogt even is! Also, telegram definitely suggests 1920ish as a time-period.

F56:
'In a society, isolation leads to eccentricity; eccentricity leads to loneliness; loneliness leads t madness. In the 1970s, a serial killer called Dennis Nilsen committed his first murder, he said, after not speaking to another human being for many days. That is one solution the soul comes to.' 56%
This book sounds absolutely fascinating! Isolation is definitely bad for a human's mind which is why it is considered torture if prisoners are isolated in prison!

So, this is my FF post for today! Do you have reoccuring dreams? And which books will you never ever forget?

Comments

  1. You had a relaxing dream. I don't think I ever dreamed of a relaxed one. Haha! I also have a lot of books that I'll never forget. Not just one! Great books btw! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't sound like my usual style but that BB and 56 sound fascinating. :)

    Check out my Friday 56 With Book Beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that it is true, when we are isolated we don't make sound decisions. Hope you enjoy the book. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like such a nice reoccurring dream!
    Here's my Friday post: http://myexpandingbookshelf.blogspot.com/2015/04/book-beginnings-friday-56-and-feature.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you I had a nightmare!Here is my answer:
    Books are my life
    New Bloglovin' follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do check out my FF: http://bookstopcorner.blogspot.in/2015/04/feature-follow-7-recurring-dreams.html
    Old follower

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow I need that dream. New follower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some good reoccurring dreams! I don't think I've ever had a reoccurring dream. Plenty of weird ones, but none that repeated!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like a pretty nice recurring dream and I love your memorable book list. I'm curious about The Emperor Waltz. I tend to be more relaxed when isolated so I'm not sure I agree with the 56!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This isn't my normal reading but the blurb sounds so enriching I might read this one.
    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/04/03/the-friday-56-56-bubba-done-it/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there, Juli! Such a peaceful sounding recurring dream. haha mine were, unfortunately, usually the same suspense based/ thriller dreams. I watch too much TV perhaps. And one book I will never forget is Where the Red Fern Grows.

    Thanks for sharing! the passage about isolation is great! I always enjoy these blog visits :)
    xo Lenna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay that sounds like kind of dream I want to have, and every night! LOL! Old follower.

    Shannon @ The Tale Temptress' FF

    ReplyDelete
  13. A dream about sleeping. I have never heard anyone say that before.
    Following back

    Bunnita
    Worth Reading It?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like amazing dreams to have! Thanks for following my blog, followed back via GFC :)

    Ranu @ The Bookish Life

    ReplyDelete
  15. The book sounds quite intense while the cover is bright and cheerful. And I'm curious as to why Herr Vogt had to bring his own bed linens and towels, it sounds like hes' at a hotel. Maybe because of the war?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the first part of your 56 quote "In a society, isolation leads to eccentricity; eccentricity leads to loneliness; loneliness leads to madness."

    Check out my Friday 56!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those dreams sound wonderful! Old follower.

      Check out my FF!

      Delete
  17. New follower on gfc, bloglovin', and twitter :)
    Tishia @ Paperback Opinion
    My FF: http://paperbackopinion.blogspot.com/2015/04/feature-follow-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both snippets draw the reader in. That beginning paints a vivid picture!
    Happy Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great answer. I had a hard time picking just one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That would be a wonderful dream. I need to have those dreams! Thank you for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would LOVE a dream like that! New Bloglovin follower

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a little frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree about so many books. I actually narrowed them down to two, but then I thought of a third, but didn't put it in my post. :)

    Wuthering Heights is a good choice. Totally forgot about it.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Also...a review and giveaway of DON'T TRY TO FIND ME at this link.

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com/2015/04/review-and-giveaway-of-dont-try-to-find.html

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a relaxing dream! I'd love a dream like that!

    New follower! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a nice dream lol :) I bet you were super rested!

    New follower!

    Jessica @ Ramblings on Readings

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts