Teaser Tuesday: 'Felice's World'

Teaser Tuesday is hosted by MizB from Should Be Reading and today I am teasing from a book I was sent to review for a booktour: 'FELICE’S WORLDS: From the Holocaust to the Halls of Modern Art' by Henry Massie.

“I’m sick of the word marriage. I’m suffocating in it. I have to escape. And I need to find a way to make more money because every cent I earn goes to my room and board. I have no money for books, for concerts, for the theater, for clothes.”
P. 68
I am not quite sure who is speaking here because I am not that far into the book yet, but I like the tone of it. I feel that this is something I could say.

Felice's World: from the Holocaust to the Halls of Modern Art' by Henry Massie
First she escaped the Holocaust and the poverty of the Shtetl. After that, she moved in many worlds. And in every one she made her mark.
Felice Massie was a student in France caught up in the horrors of Nazism when she was 20 yeas old. Cut off by the war from her family living in a small village in Poland, she shifted from one country to another attempting to find a home for herself and a means to rescue her parents, brother and sister. As the Holocaust descended on her shtetl, she arrived penniless in America. Over time she raised a family and amassed one of foremost collections of American modern art. Her boldness and resilience became a beacon of hope and inspiration for others.
The cover isn't that nice, but that's probably because it's a Kindle edition. So, what are you teasing with this week?

First Chapter, First Paragraph, Tuesday Intros is hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea.



'The train with four wooden carriages stuttered to a halt at the Lebanese crossing into Palestine near noon on a September day in 1935. Felice and her companion stepped into the sun, feeling the intense heat, tasting the sting of salt from the Mediterranean Sea to the east. For a moment a breeze from the mountains on the west brought a hint of freshness. The wild grass along the tracks was burnt golden. Everything was sear,  scorched, except for the flowers in the border station’s window planter boxes. Dust hung in the air from a gravel road that paralleled the tracks.'

I like the opening, it's so descriptive and I love travelling so I like the prospect of getting diferent placed described to me.

Comments

  1. That one sound interesting. Is it non-fiction?
    Here's my Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like the sound of this one...I can feel the desperation in her voice.

    Thanks for sharing...and here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whom-ever is speaking in your teaser sounds awfully broke... Not really my kind of book, but thanks for the tease!

    My Teaser
    Renae @ Rolling with the Moments

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read that the Nazis stole many beautiful paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a sad but hopefully triumphant read. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting teaser, the speaker's situation doesn't sound so great.

    Here are my teasers for this week =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The teaser is ironic, isn't it? She's complaining about not being able to the theater or concerts, and the Nazis will soon be destroying her family and former country. I think I feel like this sometimes too. I want the things that make life special while others struggle to survive. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds really good. Here is my TT http://newpaperadventures.blogspot.com/2012/08/teaser-tuesday-82812.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. A sad sad thing when you have no money for books! Hope you enjoy the rest! :)

    Here's my Teaser

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a sad time, great teaser though. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The opening is very descriptive and nicely done. The teaser for Felice's World is interesting and it sounds like it could be a very touching book. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great book. Thanks for sharing!

    Check out my teasers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd read a bit more to commit, but it sounds like this has potential.

    BTW...I love your blog header -

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing such an in depth teaser!

    CarolynBrown-Books

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts