Quote It Saturday - Gandalf!

Just saw this meme over at Freda's Voice and thought to myself: why am I not part of this? So here is me taking part! Since this is my first time, I decided to go for two quotes from one of my favourite books: 'The Lord of the Rings'!
Gandalf: 'Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.' 
'Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill before this is over. '


The top one si the quote from the book and the bottom one from the movie, where they mized it with something else Gandalf says. I love both. I love this one because it sort of spells out why I am against capital punishment. We cannot bring people back to life and therefore we shouldn't take it. Also, I love how Gandalf is both very reasonable in this quote and then talks of his heart. It's a nice contrast. The next one though, is pure and utter brilliance. 
Gandalf: 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought. '
How comforting is that? Especially if you imagine it in Ian McKellen's voice. I do, in some way, believe that everything that happens has a purpose. Not int he sense that everything that happens is your destiny, but everything invariably shapes you and will eventually help you. 


Well, these were my quotes. Now hopping over to see the others!

Comments

  1. I'm rereading Fellowship of the Ring at the moment and I just marked that first quote this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Juli!
    I think I skimmed through the entire series, when I tried reading it a few years ago, just imagining the films instead. Perhaps now that I'm older, I should it give it another go :) Amazing quotes! Gandalf fits that lovable, old wise man archetype that never gets old. :)

    -Kirthi

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I have seen the series of films, but have not read a page of any of the books. I hear from everyone that I'm missing out, the books are so much better, and with your quotes of each, I think I am too. Maybe it's time to get reading this series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha aww Gandalf!
    he is so wise. so very wise :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts