Review: 'Beautiful Disaster' by Jamie McGuire

Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1)I saw a review for this on A Glass of Wine by Kathy and thought I'd like it. Because it's a 'read now' on NetGalley I rushed over there, put it on my Kindle and started reading. I am getting my exam results tomorrow, so I needed to be distracted over the last couple of days. And this book most definitely did the trick of distracting me.
The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand. 
Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.
I hadn't expected to love this book. In her review Kathy mentioned the violence in the novel, which was to be expected from reading the synopsis and I thought this would probably make me dislike the novel but there was something strangely alluring about it. McGuire did really well in conveying the thrill and excitement of the danger that accompanies Travis, especially because it was intertwined with some really sweet scenes. Together with Abby, we feel much more excited when she is with Travis. This book will probably really work for every girl that is attracted to bad boys who are actually sweet. Although I liked it in this novel because Abby wasn't trying to change him, I think we are all ready for novels in which girls don't change guys. Although I liked it in this novel, it has been done a bit too much. Why can't the girl be corrupted once in a while, or just accept the way he is and leave?

 Finding out who the 'old Abby' was really interesting. I think that maybe I had expected something else but her story was worked out really well. Once the big reveal came I realised McGuire had dropped little hints all throughout the novel. I was surprised with the level of development for the characters and plot line, showing once again that I am slightly, perhaps terribly, prejudiced against the YA genre. It is just that I don't run into YA novels I like that much and now here I am, finding two in two weeks.

Thinking it over again, I think I know why I liked this novel as much as I did. It is absolutely human. There is no magic, no ghosts, no vampires, just people. They all mess up, say stupid things, regret it, don't regret it, they gossip, etc. I think that was very refreshing. It is a lot easier to relate to the characters and it does give the novel more depth because the behavior of the characters can be better explored. The sequel 'Walking Disaster' is going to be the same story but from Travis' perspective. I don't know whether I'm ready for that, I already nearly combusted reading it from Abby's perspective. But it will be very interesting to see whether McGuire is able to hold onto her realistic writing style.

I give this book...

3 UNIVERSES!!!!

I liked this book a lot more than I expected, the cover is gorgeous and I hate my Kindle for dying now  because this means I can'y reread it. I really enjoyed it, it is a very entertaining read and I think every girl will be hooked on Travis immediately. I only gave it 3 universes because while I absolutely love it now, I don't think it will always remain a favourite! But right now, I can't get it out of my head!

Comments

  1. Awwwwwww! I think I'll like this book! Bad boys are hard to resist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been seeing a lot of people talk about how good this book is... BUT I didnt know it was avaiable on Netgalley as a read now, SO- Im heading over there now.
    :)
    Great review.
    Hopefully Ill love it like you did

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard really good things about this book. I'm not a violence person so I have been staying away from it, but from the way you described it I think I can handle it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts