BTT: Unspoken

btt button
It's another Thursday, which means another BTT question is waiting for us:

Name a book you love in a genre you normally don’t care for. What made you decide to read it? Did it make you want to try more in that genre?
&
What genre do you avoid reading and why?

I recently reread 'Unspoken' by Sarah Rees Brennan, which I got from Netgalley and just reviewed. It's a YA novel, which I usually don't read and I only chose this one because I thought the synopsis was quite nice. I wasn't expecting much from it and absolutely fell in love with it. I raced through it in my train journeys on one day and then reread it. It was brilliant and I hadn't expected to like it this much.

YA is also the genre I usually leave alone. I usually find it a bit too stereotypical and even boring at times. And that is why I was so surprised with this one. It didn't necessarily make me want to pick up more YA, but it definitely made me want to read the sequels that are in the works. Perhaps if I found YA novels with similar plots, then I probably would try them out.

So, how about you?

Comments

  1. You are right about YA being stereotypical and boring at times. My biggest issue is that the writers are usually adults and they don't put themselves in a YA mindset and they write as if they are adults and not teenagers. Then the story gets weird and I just can't take it. >.<

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I visit a WOW post and see the YA books featured, I think: hmm, the blurbs all sound the same! Which is why I avoid most of them.

    Occasionally I'll find an author who digs beneath the surface and shows us a dimensional character.

    Here's MY THURSDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hii Juli :)
    once again we are in sync, and I love it, ha. completely with you on YA and I'm glad that you agree in regard to the vampire/werewolf element as well.
    the cover of Unspoken is cool! I am going to write that one down on your recommendation. A couple of other things: I am actually jealous of your train journeys, ha. and I checked out a copy of "Tis a Pity Shes a Whore" from my library after reading that you mentioned it in a previous post, so I'll have to let you know what I think!
    Have a wonderful day!

    Aspen
    http://inner-aspen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Juli,

    Agreed with you. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I avoid horror and way out science fiction.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/08/booking-through-thursday_9.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't care for YA books, and I steer clear of sci fi and horror books.

    Thanks for the visit today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You might end up liking more YA if you keep on getting surprised by what's inside them. Synopsis does help a great deal to me too on genres I avoid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the reasons I don't read much YA is because of the predictabililty. Thanks for dropping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do agree that most of the YA books are predictable but through doing tours I have come across some that were surprisingly good!

    New follower via GFC!

    My BTT

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't read YA at all until I started book blogging. That's one genre that I read a lot more of now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts