Friday Memes and 'Fly Away Home'

It's Friday and I'm extremely tired! But it's been one hell of a week. This week I met Marina Warner, one of my favourite authors and academics, and I bought a copy of her new anthology of short stories. She even wrote a dedication into it, which made me rather happy! I'm using this collection for today's memes!
A long-awaited new collection of Marina Warner's short stories. Like her award-winning novels, Marina Warner's stories conjure up mysteries and wonders in a physical world, treading a delicate, magical line between the natural and the supernatural, between openness and fear.
Dame Marina Warner is a British novelist, short story writer, historian and mythographer. She is known for her many non-fiction books relating to feminism and myth. She has written for many publications over the years, including The London Review of Books, the New Statesman, Sunday Times, The Telegraph and Vogue.
Book Beginnings and Friday 56 are hosted respectively by Gilion over at Rose City Reader and Freda by Freda's Voice.

BB:
'My dear, you know that burning house dilemma, when you have to choose what you would take out of it? Forget loved ones, they're thrown in, like Shakespeare and the Bible on Desert Island Discs. No, what would you take with you, after the wife and sprogs've been carried out of the flames in those loely big burly firemen's arms? By the way, since when did they turn into fire-fighters? This gender-blind talk, on trend, not like me, like being a chair, or a customer service officer - not my style.' p.1 (from 'Out of the Burning House')
I love that Warner begins her stories with something so straightforward and recognizable as that 'burning house dilemma'! And how she manages to sound so casual and direct, really address the reader with her questions. It's also always a good way to start an anthology by building a relationship between the narrator and the reader, since those two don't really change between stories.


F56:
'The pious acts of disfigurement weren't consistent: a few female saints, a few male saints, and several characters in the stories (men and women) were obliterated like the face of the Prophet in Persian or Indian manuscripts of a similar date, when he and other Islamic saints are screened from our gaze by short veils.' p.56 (from 'Watermark')
This has a very different tone from the previous story and I really like it! Marina Warner is so incredibly learned and intelligent (in case you haven't noticed, I idolize her a little bit) that I'm always astonished when she mixes knowledge with an easy and smooth writing style.

So, that's me for today! Do you like short stories? Would you check out Fly Away Home?

Comments

  1. This sounds like it could be a rather interesting read. I haven't heard of Marina Warner before.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She writes amazing short stories, definitely give her a try if you like those! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds good - I've never read anything by this author before but I sure like her voice in the book beginning. Thanks for visiting my blog today. My Book Beginnings and Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite it all being short stories there is a really strong voice that is Warner's throughout the anthology! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, yes, I also love when the writer seems to address the reader; and that "burning house dilemma" is one that can resonate with everyone. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great opening to draw everyone in! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Juli,

    I haven't come across this author before, despite the excellent sounding books she has written over the years.

    I am also not a huge fan of the short story, although given the dwindling amount of time I have to read just lately, maybe this genre would have more to offer than a conventional story.

    The opening lines you shared were really thought provoking and set me thinking - A great way to draw the reader in, as they pose a question which almost everyone can relate to.

    Love the striking cover art too :)

    Thaks for sharing and enjoy the weekend.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only discovered her because she wrote a book I referenced in an essay, but I love her fiction now. Short stories can be a great burst of fiction in every day life. The cover is even more stunning in real life! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  5. Hmm, interesting. I haven't heard of this author before.


    My Friday post:
    Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only discovered her recently as well but am very happy about it! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  6. The BB and 56 were different from what I expected from the title. I don't mind short stories, but I only tend to read them if they feature characters from series I read. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Sorry to be so late getting to yours today. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah I do like those "in between" novellas which fill in some of te blanks in series! I'm even later in replying ;) Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I KNOW what you mean about Friday and long week. Sigh. I am so pooped. I am so glad that you had a chance to meet the author of your book. It sounds like a good one.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I really appreciate comments.

    Anne@HeadfullofBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weeks seem to go quicker and quicker and yet get busier by the month as well! It was an absolute joy meeting her :D Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  9. I haven't heard of this author, but I'm intrigued by her writing. Hope you get some well deserved rest this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This anthology is full of intriguing little references and spooky stuff, it's great fun! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a good collection! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed very good! It's always slightly surprising when every story in a collection is enjoyable! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  11. Those two selections were very different. I enjoy short stories and collections and you have me curious about these.

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/09/25/a-tiny-metal-horse-nuzzled-her-hand-the-friday-56-79-mechanica/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it how clearly the tone between the two teasers is different and yet the author's voice never changes! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  12. Great quotes! I haven't read this book yet but it gets me thinking :) May have just found another book for my TBR list ;) he he x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want to give Marina Warner a try this is definitely a great place to start! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts