Waiting for Wednesday: 'The Prisoner of Heaven'

I haven't been doing this meme in ages, but I am really excited about this next book. Waiting for Wednesday is hosted by Breaking the Spine.




'The Prisoner of Heaven' by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Publication date: 
21/06/2012


It begins just before Christmas in Barcelona in 1957, one year after Daniel and Bea from THE SHADOW OF THE WIND have married. They now have a son, Julian, and are living with Daniel's father at Sempere & Sons. Fermin still works with them and is busy preparing for his wedding to Bernarda in the New Year. However something appears to be bothering him. 
Daniel is alone in the shop one morning when a mysterious figure with a pronounced limp enters. He spots one of their most precious volumes that is kept locked in a glass cabinet, a beautiful and unique illustrated edition of The Count of Monte Cristo. Despite the fact that the stranger seems to care little for books, he wants to buy this expensive edition. Then, to Daniel's surprise, the man inscribes the book with the words 'To Fermin Romero de Torres, who came back from the dead and who holds the key to the future'. This visit leads back to a story of imprisonment, betrayal and the return of a deadly rival.


I am such a Carlos Ruiz Zafon fan because his books are simply full of amazing imagery and combine some of the greatest themes in literature: love, friendship, honour and betrayal. And who can resist a creation such as The Cemetery of Forgotten Books?


Tomorrow I am going to the Foyles Event where Zafon will be interviewed by blogger Suzi Feay about this book and I am so excited. I don't even think that I can rationally explain the excitement coursing through my body. I will actually get to see this man! Now all I have to do is somehow get the money to buy the book afterwards.


So, how about you? What book are you dying to read?

Comments

  1. I've never read anything by this author but I'm intrigued by the description.

    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't heard of that one! Hope you love it once you read it!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pick! I have heard that this books is really good.
    thanks for sharing.
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this book before, thanks for sharing!

    Thanks for stopping by my WOW and following! I'm an old follower ;)

    Vanya D. @ YA Story Teller

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, very intriguing :) Great choice!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts