Teaser Tuesday: The Turn of the Screw


 For Teaser Tuesday, hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading, I chose 'The Turn in the Screw' by Henry James. 
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
I reviewed Henry James' 'What Maisie Knew' yesterday and decided to get started on another one of his books: 'The Turn of the Screw'. I have refused to look up any kind of synopsis or summary because I want to be completely open and surprised. Here is a teaser:
  • 'At that moment, in the state of my nerves, I absolutely believed she lied; and if I once more closed my eyes it was before the dazzle of the three or four possible ways in which I might take this up.'

    Ooh, I want to know who 'she' is and why she would want to lie. And I usually have trouble finding one way to deal with something, so I would not complain if I found myself with four!
  • 'Instead of succumbing I sprang again to my feet, looked at her bed, and took a helpless middle way.'

    I am assuming the 'she' from the teaser above is still involved. I am also assuming she just offered out protagonist some entertainment involving her bed. Also, looking at the first teaser, why would she first lie and then offer herself to him. I can almost understand why he is taking the middle way.
So, I am actually really looking forward to this book. I think it looks pretty entertaining from the teasers! Also, the cover makes it look a bit like a ghost story. So, what are you teasing us with today? Leave a link so I can come and visit!




Comments

  1. To keep from spoiling your surprise, I'm just going to say, this book is great! Hope you have fun reading it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, this was on the Scholastic Books order form when I was in elementary or middle school. I remember getting it and being totally mystified by what was going on. I'm sure it will be much clearer to you than it was to an 11-year-old voracious reader. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read this title either - sounds very intriguing - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Tease! Thanks for the follow, right back at ya!
    My Tease!
    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't ever read any of Henry James' books. I guess that is a gap in my reading history. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to go into books with no expectations...I usually really enjoy books a lot more that way. I'm definitely intrigued by this one!

    Thanks for sharing & for stopping by my teaser from Pushing the Limits. Happy Tuesday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. talk about confusing. man, this one may not make my reading list. i must read a few reviews for sure.
    http://sidnereading.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. interesting teaser. Thanks for the follow! Happy tuesday!

    Ning @ Reading by Kindle Fire

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sound interesting, hope you enjoy it! And thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Turn of the Screw may be the only James book I actually enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome teasers and I really like how you tried to explain them. Sounds like an interesting book. =] Followed you back. =] Thanks for sharing and Visiting my TT. =] -Michael @ The Bookshelf Review

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good teasers, sounds interesting.

    http://theplotthickensbookblog.blogspot.com/2012/06/teaser-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great book! It's one of my favorites. There's a new book out now that's inspired by it, of course I can't remember the name of it right off hand! I love this "teaser" idea! Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm your new follower. I love your blog!
    Deborah/TheBookishDame

    ReplyDelete
  14. um sounds very interesting, wonder why she would lie?

    Great teaser, Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is another of the many books I read years ago and have almost totally forgotten. I hope you find it interesting. I must be on a "dark" kick this week. My teasers are from Dark Companion by Marta Acosta and Darkness All Around by Doug Magee. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very intriguing teasers!
    Thanks for stopping by mine!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have yet to read a Henry James book, but I may just start with this one! Great teasers!!

    Thanks for stopping by Book Cover Justice, new follower here too!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Juli! I've read The Turn of the Screw a couple times and hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks for visiting today!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! Thanks for the visit to my blog!

    I didn't enjoy The Turn of the Screw but I am hoping you would.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting teasers! I hope you're enjoying the book. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this book! It's really creepy. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for coming by my blog! Hope you enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts