Friday's Angels


Gain New Blog Followers





This week's FF question (hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee) is:

Q: If you could "unread" a book, which one would it be? Is it because you want to start over and experience it again for the first time? Or because it was THAT bad?



Well, since you give me the choice between two, I will chose two books!! I wish I could unread Harry Potter and stat all over again! I simply loved it so much and it really introduced me to the pleasures of reading. But I think  I would also have to go back a couple of years in age so I could once again have the pleasure of growing up with the characters in the book. So maybe I'd want to reread 'The Shadow of the Wind' because it was simply amazing!

A book I want to unread because I disliked it is 'Twilight'. It is not even that I hate it that much, it is just that I could have spent my time reading other books that were worth my time. That would again have led to me not having to watch the movies to compare them to the book or discuss the negatives of the book with other people. Oh well, it was a conscious decision, so I can't really blame anyone else for that!

Because I went to the Carlos Ruiz Zafon event yesterday, I chose his 'The Prince of Mist' for today. Book Beginnings is hosted by 'Rose City Reader' and Friday 56 is hosted by 'Freda's Voice'.

BB:
'Max would never forget that faraway summer when, almost by chance, he discovered magic.'

I love this opening. I'd love to discover magic this summer!

F56:
'Outside, the sky was losing the purple hue of dawn and the first rays of a blazing sun pierced the forest that extended beyond the walled garden.'


Zafon uses the weather as a way to emphasize a shift in atmosphere during the story or to reflect the mood his characters are in. I quite like it and it really helps me to create an image in my head while reading.

So, how about you? Any books you want to unread?

Comments

  1. Beautiful descriptions. The author does a wonderful job of creating imagery.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. New follower. I too would love to re-expereince the Harry Potter series. It is one of the few book series I enjoy reading again and again. I always find new insights and connections I didn't see before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that technique, too, as a way of emphasizing the tone and mood. Sometimes it even seems to bring in a feeling of "normalcy," just before moving into some horrific events.

    Thanks for sharing...and here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't read the Prince of Mist. It's now on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mentioned Twilight in my post, too. :)

    I'm a gfc follower. Please follow back if you can.
    http://notjustnonsense.blogspot.com/2012/06/ff-feature-and-follow-25.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great imagery! Can anyone forget the day they discovered magic! Loved the beginning and 56

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree with your choices about books to "unread"...lol.....

    Loved your choice for Book Beginnings and Friday 56 - sounds like an excellent book.

    Here's my Friday Meme Post

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never read the Harry Potter series, but I liked Twilight the first time I read it. When I re-read it, however, I was like "Oh my God, what was wrong with me?!" haha. Obviously I outgrew it by the second reading. Anyway, great picks. Following back. Thanks for stopping by!

    Amber @ Fall Into Books

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with your choices.
    I loved twilight when I read it. It was the first paranormal novel I read. But If I were to read it again I am not quite sure if I would like it.

    Thanks for stopping by. I am following you back.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can just picture the scenario in the book you've featured. New follower. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the sounds of The Prince of Mist. I look forward to seeing what you think!

    Here's my Book Beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I completely agree with you on the books to unread. Loved Harry Potter. Hated Twilight.

    The opener of The Prince of Mist is great.

    I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Agreed! BUT I wouldn't unread them..
    My FF; http://booknookgirl.blogspot.com/2012/06/follow-friday_22.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would unread the Harry Potter series so I could read it again. :)
    New Follower
    Here's my FF: http://yabookseasons.blogspot.com/2012/06/follow-friday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lots of Harry today!

    I would love to experience the wonder of the wizarding world again, too!

    old follower
    theresamjones.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally agree on Twilight!
    I love the opening of this book. I would have to read it to discover the magic of the summer he mentions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a good beginning!

    I would "unread" The Magus by John Fowles. I wish I could! I really disliked that book.

    Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a good beginning! I'm not familiar with that author or book - will have to check them out.

    Here's my Book Beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's been so long since I stopping by, Hopping thru.

    I agree with Harry Potter, its just that good.

    Old Follower

    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with your choice of Harry Potter! Such a wonderful series! And also, that's a good beginning to a book! Mention magic and I'm hooked!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I feel the same way about unreading books so that I could have the time back to read more worthwhile books.

    My follow friday! Hope you visit!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I guess you already know my answer to these questions ;-) thanks for stopping by my blog, Following you back.

    ReplyDelete
  23. hahaha - unread something bad and unread something good so you can (re)experience it all over again!

    http://guiltlessreading.blogspot.ca/2012/06/friday-56-book-beginnings-fish-tank.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome imagery, love your Friday 56!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hopping through. I haven't read Zafon's Prince of the Mist yet. Have you read Shadow of the Wind? It was wonderful.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  26. Harry Potter was the beginning of many people's book obsession.

    Thanks for stopping by.
    New follower.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great descriptions :)
    New follower from the Blog Hop
    -Buffi
    My Wonderfully Dysfunctional Blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts