'Get 'Em Out by Friday'


Gain New Blog Followers


Follow Friday is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee.

Q: Birthday Wishes -- Blow out the candles and imagine what character could pop out of your cake...who is it and what book are they from?


This one is difficult. If someone jumps out of your cake, does that means he is a present and that I can keep him? Because that would change my answer completely. If however, it was someone I could have a chat with, I would have to choose someone else. But I will just get on with it. 

I guess I wouldn't mind Faramir from the Lord of the Rings jumping out of my cake. I had to think about this one long and hard, but I have my reasons. First of all, how funny would it be if he jumped out of a cake in full armour? Secondly, he seems to be genuinely nice and kind and he loved knight tales as a kid. Thirdly, his character makes me cry, both in the books and in the movies, and I would just rush in to give him a massive hug. Finally, he's not that bad looking ;)




Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader and Friday 56 by Freda's Voice.

This week I chose 'The Glass Palace' by Amitav Ghosh. I picked this book up in a secondhand store recently because I am going on a holiday on Tuesday and desperately need something to read on the beach. I saw the cover and thought it looked amazing.

BB:
'There was only one person in the food-stall who knew exactly what the sound was that was rolling in across the plain, along the silver curve of the Irrawaddy, to the western wall of Mandalay's fort.'
The setting is set, suspense is created and I love it. I'm always interested in novels set in the South-Eastern Asia and span generations. So much has happened in that region in the last 100 years and its culture is fascinating.

F56:
'For a while Mandalay became a city of ghosts.'
I realize this is a really short F56, but I thought it was amazing. I think this is a great way to show that a city is gripped by something. It is a brilliant metaphor that all readers understand.


So, how about you? Who do you want in your birthday cake? (Why does this sound wrong?)

Comments

  1. Faramir is an interesting choice!
    Thanks for stopping by!
    Following GFC and google+
    And you must read Vampire Academy! So good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Never did read LOTR, so I don't know this character. But I will take your word for it!

    Here's my Friday Hops

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choice! I don't think I would have thought of him. Thanks for stopping by. Old follower

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Glass Palace sounds like an interesting read. As for anybody jumping out of my birthday cake...I think I'd be more upset than excited if that happened.

    Here's my Book Beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always been attracted to that cover, too. (For me it's the bicycles.) And I agree that both the beginning and the teaser are great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Juli, yes if it's a gift you're entitled to keep him LOL Thanks for the follow. New GFC follower on your blog, too.

    Happy FF!

    Renee @ Succotash Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the beginning and the cover. I hope you enjoy reading it and the beach! I went not too long ago and got zero reading done haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man!!!
    PERFECT choice!
    Faramir! I wouldnt have even thought of him!!!

    Perfect!

    Old follower-
    Theresamjones.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting choice w/ Faramir, but I get it :) Have a great weekend, Book Savvy Babe

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of this one, but now I'm intrigued. Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes we definitely need to keep him lol! It's a really great choice, I didn't even think of me but love the idea!

    new follower

    ReplyDelete
  12. good choice, though I only seen the movies, but still, good one. Here is my FF Post

    ReplyDelete
  13. What is the sound? Now I want to know! Good beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well heck, I'm having trouble remembering who this one is. Thanks for stoping by earlier! Following back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never been able to finish the Lord of the Ring books :( If you want to find out who I chose, please come over to my FF post

    I'm a new GFC follower, and I also added you to my circles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a awesome choice, I hadn't even thought of him.

    MyFF

    ReplyDelete
  17. Faramir's a great answer. I love LOTR. :)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    New GFC follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The cover of your book is gorgeous and the first line sets a great tone. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good Friday Meme - The Glass Palace sounds like a really interesting book and I too love books set in exotic places. Thanks for visiting my blog earlier today!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haven't read LOTR (unfortunately) but The Glass Palace sounds really interesting!
    new follower :)
    Here's my FF

    ReplyDelete
  21. cool choice! thank for following my blog
    new follower
    candi

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've picked up the Glass Palace a number of times because, like you I love the cover and I go through phases of reading Indian/Asian books. But for some reason I have never actually bitten the bullet and read it...I'll be interested in your opinion.
    PS Faramir (aka David Wenham) would be a delightful cake popper. Once upon a time I would have wished for Mr Knightley to discreetly pop out of a cake, but I now have my own real-life Mr Knightley :-) That leaves me having a cup of tea and a sliver of cake with Elizabeth Bennett and Anne Eliott chatting about how things turned out for them after 'happily ever after'.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it when I find a great book in a second hand story. The Glass Palace sound interesting. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh yeah ... we can always dream, can't we? Great choice, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. hello Juli :)
    thanks for stopping by my FF! and yay! you love soccer too??, haha In regard to your FF, though, I think I would require any LOTR character jumping out of a cake to jump out in full armor. and second, though not a literary character, I would love it if Michael Ballack or Thomas Muller jumped out of my cake. (I'm pretty sure that sentence/question would sound wrong no matter how you spun it, lol) have a great weekend!

    Aspen

    http://inner-aspen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I didn't think about if you get to keep them or not when they jump out of the cake! Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great choice! I'd love to meet Faramir, too :)
    The Glass Palace sounds really interesting. Thanks for introducing it to me.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the follow. I'm following you back! I have to admit, I never read LOTR. I saw the movies lol but I have no idea who is who.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for stopping by - old GFC follower.

    Great choice with Faramir. I can definitely see the humour in icing-covered armour. LOL

    Bob @ Beauty in Ruins

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great metaphor, as I can picture the dried-up ghost town with no action. I can imagine Glinda, the good witch from The Wizard of Oz, emerging from my cake with sparkling eyes, loving smile and glowing wand... wishing me a Happy B'day! lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts