It's Monday! What Are You Reading? and Stacking the Shelves

I haven't done this meme in ages and I have definitely been feeling the effects of it! They really help to get the books that come in all on a row, quite literally, and that makes it a lot clearer for me what I have to read! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted over at Book Journey while Stacking the Shelves can be found over at  Tynga's Reviews .

2aaaStacking The Shelves [103]

On Saturday I had the luck (or misfortune, depending on how you view it) of finding another Oxfam Books & Music shop in Nottingham and of course I walked away with two books. Now, one of them is a strange yet interesting one, while the other was a no-brainer.

The Tree: The Complete Book of Saxon WitchcraftThe Tree: The Complete Book of Saxon Witchcraft by Raymond Buckland
This book is a real breakthrough in the field of witchcraft where secrecy is the general rule. Here the author withholds no secrets so that anyone can practice.

Am I planning to become a witch? No. Or at least, not necessarily. I don't really understand the whole Wiccan thing, partially because I simply haven't looked into it, but also because it seems a bit...abstract. But I am interested in Anglo-Saxons and although this is, apparently, from a lot later, it's always interesting to look into things that claim to be Saxon. And ever since Harry Potter came into my life magic is something I have wanted. I can't wait to crack into this one, even if it's just curiosity.

Beowulf: An Adaptation by Julian Glover of the Verse Translations of Michael Alexander and Edwin MorganBeowulf: An Adaptation by Julian Glover of the Verse Translations of Michael Alexander and Edwin Morgan.
The poem 'Beowulf' is one of the glories of European Literature. It was composed in Anglo-Saxon verse early in the eighth century and has come down to just one surviving manuscript. This is the text that Julian Glover has taken for this book.

I am a sucker for anything that has to do with Beowulf because it is one of my favourite literary texts. And when I saw this cover, the cover to the right is the one I have as well, I just wanted it. And what I've read of it so far it looks really interesting. And there are some beautiful illustrations in there as well.

Besides that I also discovered Oxford University Press on NetGalley and requested three books. Below are the covers and titles. I can't wait to dig into these!


Once Upon A Time by Marina Warner, A Storm of Witchcraft by Emerson W. Baker, Twelve Voices from Greece & Rome by Christopher Pelling & Maria Wyke.

I'm going to be so intelligent after I've read these books. For Stacking the Shelves, here's a round-up of what I managed to review last week. Some of these books I actually finished quite some time ago but never got round to reviewing:
So, that was my meme post for today! How about your Mailbox, is it full?

Comments

  1. Happy Monday! Looks like interesting reads, and I'll check out your reviews of Arrow of the Mist and Spider Woman as well. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! A good variety here! They're pretty much new to me ones! Hope you have a great week this week!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts