Teaser Tuesday - 'Descent by Ken MacLeod

Second day of the week and I'm spending all of it at work! But that is not stopping me from blogging, so don't you worry, in case you were. Today I am using Descent by Ken MacLeod for Teaser Tuesday, hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading.


The rules are simple:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
  • Be careful not to include SPOILERS
  • Share the title & author, so other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they want.
I'm reading Descent for review, which you should be able to expect on Thursday!

20618981HOW FAR WOULD YOU GO FOR THE TRUTH? Ball lightning. Weather balloons. Secret military aircraft. Ryan knows all the justifications for UFO sightings. But when something falls out of the sky on the hills near his small Scottish town, he finds his cynicism can't identify or explain the phenomenon. And in a future where nothing is a secret, where everything is recorded on CCTV or reported online, why can he find no evidence of the UFO, nor anything to shed light on what occurred? Is it the political revolutionaries, is it the government or is it aliens themselves who are creating the cover-up? Or does the very idea of a cover-up hide the biggest secret of all?
I thought it looked really interesting and so far I am really enjoying it. I don't read enough conspiracy theory books! Now, onto the teaser:
'Blantantly artificial shapes and colours made it likewise obvious that every piece of wooden furnishing - the wall panels, the tables, the chairs and stools, the bar - was of synthetic wood, and every advertising posted changed every few minutes to make perfectly clear it wasn't paper although it was designed to look like paper.' 66%
 Not quite sure what is happening because I haven't gotten this far yet, but the idea that everything around you isn't what it appears to be but created to appear as such is rather terrifying!

So, what are you teasing with?

Comments

  1. ooh this is a great teaser! And the cover alone makes me want to read it. Off to add Descent to my TBR pile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great teaser! This sounds like a good Sci-fi read. Thank you for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Juli,

    Whilst this isn't my usual reading genre and isn't a book I would be rushing to read, your teaser lines are very apt in relation to a conversation hubbie and I were having just the other day. We have both come to the conclusion that it is already impossible to believe much of what you see and hear, so perhaps your lines, whilst as you say are terrifying, are already more reality than fiction ...

    Thanks for sharing and enjoy your evening,

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fake newspapers seem kind of pointless to me, but the premise is indeed terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting teaser! Never heard of this one but hope you are enjoying it!

    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cool teaser... will be waiting to hear more from your further reading (=
    hapPy reading and thx for visiting FHC !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog today! I'm here to visit you back. New follower via GFC.
    Nice teaser, I've never heard about this book before.
    - Beckie

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great teaser! I love it.

    Thanks for stopping by Book Munchies! :)

    Kim @ Book Munchies

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts