Tuesday Intros & Teaser Tuesdays - 'Property Of' by Alice Hoffman

I'm really excited about the book I'm sharing with you guys today! I read it over the weekend and it simply won't let me go. The book I'm talking about is Property Of by Alice Hoffman. It was her debut novel and it has completely blown me away! I just posted my review as well, so if you want to read my thoughts on it hop over there! Tuesday Intros is hosted by Diane over at Bibliophile by the Sea and Teaser Tuesday is hosted over at Should Be Reading!
The mesmerizing debut of a major American writer
On the Night of the Wolf, the Orphans drive south on the Avenue, hunting their rival gang, the Pack. In the lead is McKay, their brooding, courageous President. Left waiting at the clubhouse is the Property of the Orphans, tough girls in mascara and leather who have declared their allegiance to the crew. Tonight, a new girl has joined their ranks. She waits only for McKay.
Drag races, dope, knife fights in the street. To the seventeen-year-old heroine of Alice Hoffman’s stunning first novel, the gritty world of the Avenue is beautiful and enthralling. But her love for McKay is an addiction—one that is never satisfied and is impossible to kick. Deeper and deeper she falls, until the winter’s day when she decides to break the spell once and for all.
A strikingly original story about the razor-thin line between love and loss, Property Of showcases the vivid imagery, lyricism, and emotional complexity that are the hallmarks of Alice Hoffman’s extraordinary career.
Property Of is simply absolutely fascinating and Hoffman sucks you into this gang-world and leaves you both craving more and glad you're not living it. Anyway, let's get on to the memes!

Intro:
'"Look," I said, "I'm going with you."Snow was falling and the moon was howling light onto the Avenue. It was a night for skidding tires and Orphans on the street. I waited for his answer."Get lost," said Danny the Sweet."Danny," I said, "what kind of an answer is that? That's an answer I won't accept." p.1
One of the main things I liked about this book was how the main character acted. She is never named, since it's told from her perspective, but she never not does what she wants to do. She doesn't follow commands and she is never called out on that. Despite the book being called Property Of, she mainly owns herself.
TeaserTuesdays2014e
Teaser:
'My enemy had tricked me from the very start. What I thought was alive was long dead, and there is no victory when the enemy was a corpse long long before the battle had ever begun. Even if that enemy was a word.' p.100
I chose this teaser because it's quite a good example, I think, of how Hoffman works with language and manages to make quite complicated ideas very logical. Also, in this case her "enemy" really is a word, or rather what that word stands for.

So, which book are you teasing? Is it a current read or one you just finished?

Comments

  1. This book does sound intriguing. Your blog is new to me. It looks wonderful. I love these weekly memes for discovering new blogs. My current read is Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood
    http://melbooksnstuff.blogspot.com.au/2014/10/teaser-tuesday.html

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOu know, I don't think I've read this one. Your enthusiasm makes me want to add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have me wondering what's going on. Great teaser.
    Here's My Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I see a butterfly, I think of my mother. She loves them. That being said, this sounds like a good book. Thanks for sharing.
    sherry @ fundinmental My TT - End of Enemies by Grant Blackwood

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may have read this one years ago, but honestly not sure by the overview or intro -- hope you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I"m not sure about this one, but I do like the opening. I'd keep reading for at least awhile!
    Today I'm featuring Lost and Found by Brooke Davis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first paragraph of the blurb makes me think of Twilight - ha! I'm not sure about this one, but am a little intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, oh God! It's nothing like Twilight, although I wouldn't exactly present this relationship as ideal either! Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  8. Well that is an intriguing teaser, and I can sense your enthusiasm over this book!

    9/11 Commission Report Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love Hoffman, and somehow missed this one. Must check it out! Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “FURTHER OUT THAN YOU THOUGHT”

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have enjoyed the books I have read by Alice Hoffman in the past, and have to say this one sounds very appealing. I would keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a compelling story that would stay with you. I've read other books by Alice Hoffman and enjoyed them, so I'm sure I'd like this one too.
    My Tuesday post features THE LITTLEST COWBOY.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting intro. I have not read any books by Alice Hoffman but have been meaning to try one of her books. It's good to know she had such a strong debut novel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have only read one other book by Alice Hoffman, The Dovekeepers. But I loved that one. This one is a different time period, but I am sure I would like it too. My Tuesday intro is Letters to My Daughter

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember reading this book when it first came out. It was the start of my love affair with Alice Hoffman books.

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/10/first-chapter-first-paragraph-79-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would probably keep reading because it is Alice Hoffman although it doesn't really sound my sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tease. The enemy is a word. I guess that might happen for real.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds like the sort of book you have to read slowly so you absorb every word.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hmmm, I don't think I'd keep going. I hope you like it. Have a good week! kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hm. Interesting.

    I have two teasers today from Veronica Roth’s YA dystopian “Divergent” series:

    http://pdworkman.com/conversation-with-veronica-roth-teasertuesday/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts