It's easy. At your blog, by next Monday, August 11, list your choice of any twenty books you've left to read from your Classics Club list -- in a separate post.
This is your Spin List. You have to read one of these twenty books in August & September. (Details follow.) So, try to challenge yourself. For example, you could list five Classics Club books you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, rereads, ancients — whatever you choose.)
Next Monday, we'll post a number from 1 through 20. The challenge is to read whatever book falls under that number on your Spin List, by October 6.
1-5: Five Books I'm Dreading
6-10: Five Books I Can't Wait to Read
11-15: Five Books I'm Neutral About
16-20: Five Books at Random
My Spin List:
- War & Peace by Leo Tolstoy - I actually promised to read this one for a Summer Read challenge so I'll have to get on it no matter what.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - Don't know what it is but something about this book makes me want to hide.
- The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen - It's just so big!
- The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio - Talking about big and complicated!
- Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand - Another one of those.
- Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne - Captain Nemo, here I come!
- Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut - I've become a convinced Vonnegut fan!
- Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov - I want to know what it is about this book that people either hate or love!
- The Lifted Veil by George Elliot - I quite like Elliot, at times.
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - Do I even need to explain?
- The Call of the Wild by Jack London - I once started it and I simply don't feel anything about it.
- Lanark by Alasdair Grey - I need a reason to start it because I don't seem to care.
- Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf - I dabbled in Woolf once and it wasn't a good experience.
- Die Blechtrommel by Gunther Grass - Just sort of meh about this one thus far.
- My Antonia by Willa Carter - I want to read it, but I don't.
- The Man Who Loved Children by Christina Stead
- A House for Mr. Biswas by V.S. Naipaul
- An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser
- The Waste Land by T.S. Elliot
- The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski
So, this is my Spin List. I'm sort of scared what the number is going to be, but it's a good mix of books so it should be alright! Have you made your list? Leave a link to it in the comments!