Teasers and 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman

American GodsSo, I heard the news about Gillian Anderson has joined the cast for the TV adaptation of American Gods and I knew the time had officially come for me to get a crack on this contemporary classic.
A storm is coming...
Locked behind bars for three years, Shadow did his time, quietly waiting for the magic day when he could return to Eagle Point, Indiana. A man no longer scared of what tomorrow might bring, all he wanted was to be with Laura, the wife he deeply loved, and start a new life.
But just days before his release, Laura and Shadow’s best friend are killed in an accident. With his life in pieces and nothing to keep him tethered, Shadow accepts a job from a beguiling stranger he meets on the way home, an enigmatic man who calls himself Mr. Wednesday. A trickster and rogue, Wednesday seems to know more about Shadow than Shadow does himself.
Life as Wednesday’s bodyguard, driver, and errand boy is far more interesting and dangerous than Shadow ever imagined—it is a job that takes him on a dark and strange road trip and introduces him to a host of eccentric characters whose fates are mysteriously intertwined with his own. Along the way Shadow will learn that the past never dies; that everyone, including his beloved Laura, harbors secrets; and that dreams, totems, legends, and myths are more real than we know. Ultimately, he will discover that beneath the placid surface of everyday life a storm is brewing—an epic war for the very soul of America—and that he is standing squarely in its path.
Tuesday Intros and Teaser Tuesday is hosted by Diane over at Bibliophile by the Sea and Jenn over at Books and a Beat.

Intro:
'Shadow had done three years in prison. He was big enough and looked don't-fuck-with-me enough that his biggest problem was killing time. So he kept himself in shape, and taught himself coin tricks, and thought a lot about how much he loved his wife.' 1%
I like this beginning. Shadow sounds like an interesting character and I know I like Gaiman's writing style so this is a beginning that does make me want to continue, even if it doesn't offer a lot. Considering the blurb, though, this is quite tragic.

Teaser
Teaser:
'Wednesday guided his wolf - now a huge and charcoal-gray beast with green eyes - over to shadow. Shadow's mount caracoled away from it, and Shadow stroked its neck and told it not to be afraid.' 21%
I love wolves, they're amazing. They're the best of animals, especially in fiction! So, I'm excited to get to this point in the narrative because I feel like exciting things are happening.


So, what do you think about American Gods? Have you read it, and what do you think?

Comments

  1. Neil Gaiman is one of those authors where people I love, and whose taste I usually trust, adore him and I just don't get it. He has cute ideas and a vivid imagination but I guess I don't find him that technically interesting or astounding. As for "American Gods" in particular, I love modern reinterpretations of myths and mythological figures, so that part of it I enjoyed, but I felt like Gaiman bit off more than he could chew and was trying (and failing) to say ~~~Something. I feel like with a co-author or a different editor it could have really been amazing, but as it stands...meh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also a massive fan of reinterpretations of myths but I'm also wondering about American Gods. I've only read part of Stardust, which I quite enjoyed, but I still need to test which side of the Gaiman-scale I fall on! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. I need to read this one. Behind on his books and always love to meet his characters.

    My TT from Chasing Fireflies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also really behind on reading him, but I know that I should! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  3. Neil Gaiman is the best. I haven't read this particular book yet, but I love his books.

    Here's my Teaser Tuesday post for this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did love his writing in Stardust so I'm really excited to try out more of him! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  4. I've never read this author but I like the sound of this book. Looks like I'll be adding another book to my wishlist. My teaser this week comes from Death on the Sapphire by R. J. Koreto. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This weekly meme always makes me add to my wishlist as well! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  5. I've been wanting to read Neil Gaiman,and this book specifically, for ages! It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, this one has been right at the top of my list! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, I really want to read this one, too! Have heard so many great things. I had no idea they were making it into a TV show!

    Also wanted to remind you that it is summer again....and time for another Big Book Summer Challenge! I hope you enjoyed it when you participated two years ago and will consider joining the fun again!

    Sue

    2016 Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People keep telling me this one is amazing, so I have to get to it before the TV show comes on! My summer is looking pretty busy as well so I'll have to see but thanks for reminding me! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  7. Shadow is an interesting character. I loved this book. I need to read it again. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can already feel myself getting invested! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  8. I keep meaning to read this author but something always seems to take precedence! American Gods sounds like a fascinating story, and I'm adding it to my TBR pile right now.
    My Tuesday post features LA VIE EN ROSE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what has happened with me as well! Let me know if you give it a try! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  9. I like the opening and the teaser, but I'll read it just because its Neil Gaiman. I hope you enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaiman is an insta-read for a lot of people I think, so I feel like I need to get in on the action! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  10. I have yet to read this author...I started one of his books, but somehow didn't connect. I will probably try again. Thanks for sharing! Here's mine: “THE GIRLS”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully when you try again the connection will happen! Also, I just read The Girls and it blew my mind! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  11. I love American Gods--probably my favorite Neil Gaiman book! Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh good to know! I cant way to dig into it! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  12. I'd probably keep reading! The intro is different and caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am excited about seeing the American Gods adaptation. I enjoyed the book. I recently read Neverwhere and loved it. I hope to see the mini-series that was based on soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. An author that I've been meaning to try Juli - sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts