Friday Memes and 'The Wacky Man' by Lyn G. Farrell

Today is a ridiculously busy day. Within 6 hours I have one exam to pass, one train to catch and one flight to make! I'm sure I'll survive but cross your fingers for me anyway. But I've decided this is the perfect day to go back to being a part of the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. This week's question was submitted by Elizabeth over at Silver's Reviews:


Why did you start your blog?

There are actually two answers to this, which is probably cheating a little bit. The official, technical reason is, I guess, because my English teacher in high school told us so. She thought it would be a great idea for everyone to get some writing practice for the exams while also making us engage with our reading. But I sort of ignored that part once I discovered the book blogging community, which leads me to the second reason, which feels more important to me. I really wanted a place where I could talk about my books, be passionate about what I was reading and find other people who are equally passionate. And I found that, hence why I'm still hanging around ;)

The Wacky ManThis week I'm also sharing a read which I had actually planned to have reviewed already but essays and exams got in the way. I'm talking about The Wacky Man by Lyn G. Farrell!
Amanda secludes herself in her bedroom, no longer willing to face the outside world. Gradually, she pieces together the story of her life: her brothers have had to abandon her, her mother scarcely talks to her, and the Wacky Man could return any day to burn the house down. Just like he promised. As her family disintegrates, Amanda hopes for a better future, a way out from the violence and fear that has consumed her childhood. But can she cling to her sanity, before insanity itself is her only means of escape?
Book Beginnings and Friday 56 are hosted by Gillion over at Rose City Reader and Freda over at Freda's Voice, respectively.

BB:
"My new shrink asks me, 'What things do you remember - about being very young?'It's like looking into a murky river, I say. Memories flash near the surface like fish coming up for flies. The past peeps out, startles me, and then is gone." 1%
I really like this description of the past because it does seem to occasionally just pop up and affect you before disappearing behind the present again. I also wonder why our protagonist has a new shrink. Maybe he's worn out the last one?


F56:
"She watches her mum's slender hands working, cutting meat or raising a forkful of roast potato or a glass of water to her mouth and when Amanda smiles, her mum smiles back, and Amanda knows that her grandad would say that smiles are one thing never rationed.' 56%
I love the grandad's saying, it's beautiful. And I also really liked the description of this small childhood moment of Amanda's because it feels so recognizable. Watching my mother cook or bake and the happiness that often came with it is a really fond memory of mine.

Comments

  1. It's funny what teachers "force" us to do & sometimes those things turn out to be some of the best things we have done! I started my blog to meet people who share the same passion that I have.. So you can count me as one of those new friends! -- New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the author describes things in both teasers. The granddad's saying is lovely and I love the river analogy. It's funny how things jump out at us so suddenly in memory and other times just aren't there. I love your reasons for starting a blog. What a great idea by your English teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your English teacher was onto something by recommending blogging for writing experience! Interesting quotes and teasers from the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just from the brief excerpts you included, I love the writing. I started my blog as an assignment too. At first it had no focus but then I discovered book bloggers. I'm spotlighting Heart of Brass by Kate Cross from my TBR mountain this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best on your exam!!
    I love how the protagonist describes their memories! Sounds like a great read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I am so touched by the excerpts and the dilemma presented in the blurb. I love the cover, too!

    Thanks for sharing....and for visiting my blog.

    I could relate to why you started your blog. It wasn't a high school teacher for me, but a publishing consultant when I published my first book. He said a blog would be a way to market my books...well, it soon became so much more for me, like it was for you. Connecting with other bloggers. My original reason soon faded into the background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems like an okay book. Good luck on your exam!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The writing in what you shared is lovely. I probably would have overlooked this one if not for this meme! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I very much like the 56 on this one. I'd love for you to visit me... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsBTH

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love both of your reasons.

    I am sure your writing has improved so good for your teacher.

    Meeting other bloggers is AWESOME....this is what keeps me going. I love book bloggers.

    ENJOY your weekend, and Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  11. We who read your blog really owe one to your English teacher! Thanks to her, we have your wonderful blog!! :)

    Of course, you also started the blog for the same reasons most of us book bloggers do -- to share your passion for books with other passionate book bloggers like you! It really is a WONDERFUL thing to belong to a book-loving community!

    As for your book selection, it sure sounds heartbreaking, very emotional, and very poignant. I've read two reviews of this book on Goodreads. Both praise the author's writing. We need such books in order to raise awareness of the reality of domestic violence and abuse, which usually, and sadly, frequently include the children, as well as the adults, in a family. I don't know if I could ever read this book, as I'm a very sensitive person, but then again, I might. It's important to be aware of these things.

    Thanks for sharing your very interesting answers! Thanks for dropping by and commenting on my BBH post, too! Hope you have a lovely weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree - remembering the distant past is like a fish - the 56 is also good. Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a busy day you had! I hope everything went well. I really felt like I came home when I discovered the book blogging community--a group of people who were just as passionate about books and reading as I was.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, busy indeed. Funny how most teachers don't realize they seem to suck the fun out by making anything required. And funny revenge you stumbled upon the blogging community. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds excellent. I really had to look at the cover to figure out what was going on... :)

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts