Waiting on Wednesday - I'm soo excited

I haven't done this meme in aaageees but since I am now genuinely excited about a book coming my way I simply couldn't help myself! Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine.


I am not, as such, waiting for a new book to come out, but rather I'm waiting for an edition of an old book coming my way. Yesterday I finally managed to win a bidding on Ebay (first time in my life) and get myself a 1943 edition of 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte with Fritz Eichenberg illustrations. 
Wuthering Heights is a wild, passionate story of the intense and almost demonic love between Catherine Earnshaw and Heathcliff, a foundling adopted by Catherine's father. After Mr Earnshaw's death, Heathcliff is bullied and humiliated by Catherine's brother Hindley and wrongly believing that his love for Catherine is not reciprocated, leaves Wuthering Heights, only to return years later as a wealthy and polished man. He proceeds to exact a terrible revenge for his former miseries. The action of the story is chaotic and unremittingly violent, but the accomplished handling of a complex structure, the evocative descriptions of the lonely moorland setting and the poetic grandeur of vision combine to make this unique novel a masterpiece of English literature.
'Wuthering Heights' is always my answer when people ask me what my favourite book is because I just love it so much and there's always something I can talk about when people question me about why I would like this book.


The illustrations are amazing! I've always wanted a copy of this edition because they just fit perfectly with the story. They're so gothic and sharp and just really underline the different aspects and themes of the story.

So, what are you waiting for?

Comments

  1. Ohh...this sounds delightful, I love that the illustrations look dark and a bit gothic. It fits the story perfectly. Congrats on the ebay win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh nice! Hope you enjoy it!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good, great pick.
    New follower. :)
    Check out Our WoW
    Xoxo. Daisel @ Owl Always Be Reading

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts