This Friday, Atlas Shrugged


Alison Can Read Feature & FollowIt is Friday again and I am late with the post. But, I have an excuse. Dropping off a friend at Heathrow so she makes her flight to South Korea takes time! But now I'm ready to answer some Follow Friday question, hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee.

Q: What is your preferred reading format? Hardcover, eBooks, paperback etc?


I know some people are quite specific in what they prefer and are staunchly against any kind of online reading. I get that, it can be quite taxing on the eyes sometimes. But I simply prefer reading, no matter how and in what format. I do care about what I read, but not, too much, about how. I do really enjoy reading on my Kindle and it was an absolute life saver when I still flew to the Netherlands every other weekend. Choosing between hardcover and paperback is a bit more difficult. Whereas the latter are simply more handy because they are bendy (yes, I here admit to being a spine-breaker), I love hardcovers, especially antique ones. Books are simply beautiful when they have leather covers or beautiful designs. And you find these less on paperbacks, unfortunately. Although they lend themselves to stunning covers as well. So, as long as I can read, I don't really care how I read.

Today I am using Ayn Rand's 'Atlas Shrugged' for Book Beginnings (Rose City Reader) and Friday 56 (Freda's Voice).

BB:
'"Who is John Galt?"'
Well, that's definitely a way of starting a novel. Immediately I want to know who John Galt is and why do we  need to know who he is, and especially, who wants to know?


F56:
'"Why don't you want to fight?""Because they had the right to do it."'
This makes me want to know what happened. I couldn't imagine not fighting if anyone tried to harm me, but the character is talking about a 'they' and I could hardly take on one person. I think the idea of 'they', of the collective, is quite important to 'Atlas Shrugged' and I definitely cannot wait to get started!


I also want to take this opportunity to direct you guys towards an amazing video by Jack Collins, which explains the plot of 'Atlas Shrugged' surprisingly well! And all of this while drawing. Take a look at the still below and then click on the link. It includes spoilers, but it's totally worth it!

So, what do you prefer to read, Kindle or Paperback? And don't forget to check out the video.

Comments

  1. While I love print, and beautiful covers, ebooks are currently winning just due to the amount of books I can carry around with me. I may be a book hoarder.

    Mei @ Diary of a Fair Weather Diver

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a spine breaker too... not good. :(

    Julianna Smith // Reading In Twilight - FFF

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Jack Collins video too and it was good.

    So, who is John Galt? lol

    My post

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOh nice answer! I adore the beautiful hardcovers too. Paperbacks are nice because they can fit into my purse easily--and I shudder at the mentioning of bending the spines like that! lol!

    I use my kindle on occasion though. Especially for egalleys and novellas!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great read! Was this made into a movie?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I began reading ebooks when my bookcases started overflowing. I also like reading self published writers and many don't have a print copy available.
    New follower via bloglovin

    Kimberly @ Once Upon a YA Book

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Atlas Shrugged. In fact I love Ayn Rand. I have read all her novels.

    Here is my post

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree. I'm not picky with my book formats too. The content will always be more important. New follower via Bloglovin!

    Feature and Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a famous beginning! I likes Atlas Shrugged a ton when I read it in college. I'm not sure i would enjoy it as much now. The Fountainhead didn't do much for me when I read it recently.

    Hardbacks are my favorite. Although I find myself enjoying pocket paperbacks lately. They have some retro-appeal or something.

    Thanks for playing along with Book Beginnings on Fridays!

    Rose City Reader

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm gonna sound like a total dweeb: I havent read Atlas Shrugged :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts