Friday Friyay: 'Howl's Moving Castle' by Diana Wynne Jones

Happy Easter everyone! We get a full four days off here and I'm honestly very much looking forward to it. I've been doing a lot of writing and prepping for the summer semester, so I'm craving having a few days in which I can relax and read and do nothing. Also, apparently it's going to be 20 degrees here tomorrow, which feels insane. Anyways, one of the books I'm getting into this weekend is a reread, Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones! I adored the Studio Ghibli film for years before reading the book, and then fell in love with that as well. So I finally bought myself a physical copy!

In the land of Ingary, where seven-league boots and cloaks of invisibility really exist, Sophie Hatter attracts the unwelcome attention of the Witch of the Waste, who puts a curse on her. Determined to make the best of things, Sophie travels to the one place where she might get help - the moving castle which hovers on the nearby hills. 

But the castle belongs to the dreaded Wizard Howl, whose appetite, they say, is satisfied only by the hearts of young girls ...

Book Beginnings is at home on Rose City Reader, hosted by Gilion Dumas, and Friday 56 at Freda's Voice, hosted by Freda. Freda is taking a break at the moment, but Anne over at My Head is Full of Books is thankfully keeping the spirit going! I'll also be joining the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer

BB

'Ch. One: In which Sophie talks to hats

In the land of Ingary, where such things as seven-league boots and cloaks of invisibility really exist, it is quite a misfortune to be born the eldest of three. Everyone knows you are the one who will fail first, and worst, if the three of you set out to seek your fortunes.' p.9

I love how Diana Wynne Jones plays with the tropes of fantasy, folklore, and fairy tales. Sophie just knows what her fate is as the oldest, and as the oldest sister, I feel her pain. Also, this book is really funny. Not necessarily in a full belly-laugh kind of way, although that sometimes as well, but it fills you with a lovely warmth that just grows as you fall in love with Sophie.

F56:

'"Good morning," said the fire demon. Don't forget we have a bargain."
So none of it was a dream.'
 p.56

Calcifer, the fire demon, is a great character and I love how Wynne Jones just gets on with the plot, if that makes sense? The world-building is so smooth, you almost don't notice how she expands upon it and makes you feel at home there.

BBH:

This week's question comes from Billy himself:

Which has more power over readers: a book blogger or a professional critic?

Well isn't that a question to which we'd all like to know the answer? For me, as a reader, I think it is a mix, depending on what I'm looking for. If I'm looking for a fun read, one I'll enjoy, which fits into my genre-vibes, etc. then it's definitely a book blogger that holds the most sway. I know what they like to read, I know that they'll be honest, and I know that I'll get their opinions based on how the book made them feel. With a professional critic, there are also professional benchmarks etc. They need to be a bit more objective than a book blogger, I think, although they can be savage when necessary. If I am curious about how a book is received, or if I'm looking for a Literary Fiction read, then I'll probably go looking for professional critic reviews to see what's setting the scene a-buzz.

Update on the last FF read: I did really enjoy reading Love, Theoretically by Ali Hazelwood. I haven't read a proper romance in a while, but my last fanfic read isn't too long ago, so I was fully on board. Also fun to read something that was set in an academic world, even if Elsie's dislike of teaching was a bit much, since I do really enjoy it xD

That's it for me this week! What are you reading?

Comments

  1. What great excerpts! Thanks for sharing, and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked them! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  2. Enjoy the book. It sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much did, it's a delightful read! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  3. Nice! I could see there being reasons for the professional review, but I definitely would not seek them out personally. But I do know they are very beneficial to authors, like when they get the Kirkus starred review!

    Thanks for visiting my BBH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think it's up to personal taste, there should be no pressure to read one or the other! But yes, I do think that professional reviews are also beneficial to authors, as is ground support from book bloggers! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  4. I have heard great things about Diana Wynne Jones' books. This particular book was recommended to my daughter by a friend, but she hasn't gotten to it yet. The teasers do make it tempting!

    I read profession reviews sometimes, but more so book blogs. Like you though, I do find value in both.

    I hope you have a great weekend, Juli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a delightful book, for young readers definitely but also as an older reader! It's just a lot of fun, with a great main female character. Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  5. I've wanted to read Howl's Moving Castle for a long time, yet I didn't actually know the plot until now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha more than fair! I can wholeheartedly recommend it, and the Studio Ghibli film as well, even if it is verryy different (but in a good way)! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  6. I have wanted to read more Diana Wynne Jones books. I loved the Chrestomanci series (although I only read the first 4 so need to catch up there first 😂)

    I tend to trust Bloggers reviews.

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/03/29/book-blogger-hop-who-has-more-power-over-readers-a-book-blogger-or-a-professional-critic/



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read Howl's Moving Castle twice now, so I really need to dive into her other books, including the Chestomanci series. Don't know if I have the time to dedicate to a massive series right now though xD Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  7. Very interesting answer. I never thought of that reasoning,,,thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really think it depends on what you want to get from it. There should be no reason to read anything you don't want to or let anything influence you when you don't want it to! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  8. I've been wanting to read this book for awhile now. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a wonderful week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts