Friday Friyay: 'Three Eight One' by Aliya Whiteley

Hi y'all, it's Friday and it's almost the end of the semester! I am honestly so knackered but I have so many books I am looking forward to reading during the semester break. I'll have loads of thesis writing which I also need to do, but I definitely plan on taking reading breaks as well. One of the books I'm currently loving is Three Eight One by Aliya Whiteley. Whiteley is an insta-buy author for me, I adore her work and have for years.

An astonishing literary crossover novel about the pressures of growing up and the nature of authorship.

In January 2314, Rowena Savalas – a curator of the vast archive of the twenty-first century’s primitive internet – stumbles upon a story posted in the summer of 2024. She’s quickly drawn into the mystery of the text: Is it autobiography, fantasy or fraud? What’s the significance of the recurring number 381?

In the story, the protagonist Fairly walks the Horned Road – a quest undertaken by youngsters in her village when they come of age. She is followed by the “breathing man,” a looming presence, dogging her heels every step of the way. Everything she was taught about her world is overturned.

Following Fairly’s quest, Rowena comes to question her own choices, and a predictable life of curation becomes one of exploration, adventure and love. As both women’s stories draw to a close, she realises it doesn’t matter whether the story is true or not: as with the quest itself, it’s the journey that matters.

Book Beginnings is at home on Rose City Reader, hosted by Gilion Dumas, and Friday 56 at Freda's Voice, hosted by Freda. Freda is taking a break at the moment, but we're keeping the spirit going! I'll also be joining the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. Quotes have been taken from the ARC so may differ from the published book.

BB:

'I remember the first time I dreamed all the numbers had disappeared.' 1%

What I love about Whiteley's writing is how she'll always give you something to ponder over. In this case, Rowena, is dreaming of numbers disappearing, although at the beginning of the story you have no idea where she is going with that. But I immediately connected to her sense of confusion and to her hope to find herself in or through literature.

F56:

'There is no way to answer this, and I'm not expecting Ken - whoever he is - to have an answer either, but he might have a snack, at least, and I am hungry for something other than my own supplies.' 56%

At this point in the narrative we're on the journey with Fairly, somewhere on the Horned Road. I don't want to give anything away, but I love the way Whiteley plays with language and narrative in Fairly's story. 

BBH:

This week's question comes from Deb over at Readerbuzz:

What was the last book you read in one sitting?

Back in the day, when I wasn't quite as dedicated to my dayjob as I am to the job I have currently, I pulled loads of all-nighters, or at least long-nighters, during which I'd read a book through. Nowadays, it's more of a weekend thing and even then I have to take breaks to get some work done, answer some emails, etc. (Yeah, it's a balance I need to work on.) Long story short, the main books I really manage to read in one sitting these days are thrillers, cause they're short and sweet. The last one of those was One of the Good Guys by Araminta Hall. BUT last weekend I did also settle down with a Sci-Fi book which sucked me in so much (and was short enough) that I flew through: Stations of the Tide by Michael Swanwick. 

That's it for me this week! What are you reading?

Comments

  1. Yes, same here. The ones I read in one sitting are all thrillers, but that's my fav genre. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an astonishing book. Glad you found it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your thesis writing goes well and you really are able to fit in some leisure reading while on break too. Breaks from studying are good for the soul. :-) Three Eight One sounds like a great read. That opening sentence really does make you wonder and want to know more. That's great that you are sometimes able to fit in reading a book in one sitting. It's been ages since I was able to do that with a regular prose book. Short manga, on the other hand, I can do that. I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have a good break.

    Sounds like an interesting book.

    I can only manage children's books in one sitting.

    Have a good weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/02/02/book-blogger-hop-what-was-the-last-book-you-read-in-one-sitting/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts