Friday Friyay: 'Spice Road' by Maiya Ibrahim

Happy Friday y'all! I had ab absolute nightmare of a day yesterday, one of those real "gotten up on the wrong side of the bed" kind of days. But I somehow managed to see the humour in it all, even as I broke my french press and therefore had to wait till I was at work to have my first coffee of the day. Thankfully I had a lovely lunch set up with a colleague and managed to buy a new french press and a book! And it is that book I'm sharing today, Spice Road by Maiya Ibrahim.

In the hidden desert city of Qalia, there is secret spice magic that awakens the affinities of those who drink the misra tea. Sixteen-year-old Imani has the affinity for iron and is able to wield a dagger like no other warrior. She has garnered the reputation as being the next great Shield for battling djinn, ghouls, and other monsters spreading across the sands.

Her reputation has been overshadowed, however, by her brother, who tarnished the family name after it was revealed that he was stealing his nation's coveted spice--a telltale sign of magical obsession. Soon after that, he disappeared, believed to have died beyond the Forbidden Wastes. Despite her brother's betrayal, there isn't a day that goes by when Imani doesn't grieve him.

But when Imani discovers signs that her brother may be alive and spreading the nation's magic to outsiders, she makes a deal with the Council that she will find him and bring him back to Qalia, where he will face punishment. Accompanied by other Shields, including Taha, a powerful beastseer who can control the minds of falcons, she sets out on her mission.

Imani will soon find that many secrets lie beyond the Forbidden Wastes--and in her own heart--but will she find her brother?

Book Beginnings is at home on Rose City Reader, hosted by Gilion Dumas, and Friday 56 at Freda's Voice, hosted by Freda. Freda is taking a break at the moment, but we're keeping the spirit going! I'll also be joining the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer

BB:

'We will fight, but first we will have tea.' p.1

I read this in the store and immediately walked over to the counter to pay for the book. It was exactly the kind of vibe I needed, so I'm very much looking forward to diving in this weekend! Saturday is a holiday in my region, so everything is closed, so I'll have nothing to do but read :)

F56:

'Her peach-hued cheeks inflate with a snort. "If by internal crisis you mean he fell in love with someone and wants to help them, then I agree."' p.56

I don't know who has fallen in love (though I'm suspecting the brother) and why it is an issue, but I adore calling it an "internal crisis" because that feels very true. Also, just realised this is the first in an upcoming trilogy, so if I enjoy it, I'll have more to look forward to!

BBH:

This week's question was suggested by Billy himself:

Do you anticipate any upcoming 2024 books? If so, what are they?

I used to be so good at keeping up to date with what was coming out etc. and now it's just what I saw on Netgalley and requested, for the rest I have no idea xD So hopefully by hopping around I'll gather some recommendations! One of the books I've requested that I am looking forward to finally digging in is Aliya Whiteley's Three Eight One. But that's all I've got at the moment. And I guess if I enjoy Spice Road then the second one of that is also on the list.

So that's it for me this week! What are you reading? What are you anticipating?

Comments

Popular Posts