Friday Friyay: 'The Museum of Things Left Behind' by Seni Glaister

It is Friday, which is insane! How are we about to enter the last week of September already? I haven't been able to write even half as much as I had hoped this month, but oh well, I think I made some mental progress, so that's better than nothing. This weekend I'm looking forward to finally reading The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness and maybe baking some cookies as we're finally proper into autumn (not that the weather seems to know this!). Another book I'm looking forward to finally digging into is The Museum of Things Left Behind by Seni Glaister. I literally requested this book so many years back and got about halfway before life interrupted and it fell by the wayside. (My sincere apologies to the publisher and author!) But now I'm getting back into it, so yay.

Escape into this hugely enjoyable, big-hearted and beautifully written novel, set in Vallerosa, a European country you’ve never heard of before.

FIND YOURSELF IN VALLEROSA, A PLACE LOST IN TIME

Vallerosa is every tourist’s dream – a tiny, picturesque country surrounded by lush valleys and verdant mountains; a place sheltered from modern life and the rampant march of capitalism. But in isolation, the locals have grown cranky, unfulfilled and disaffected. In the Presidential Palace hostile Americans, wise to the country’s financial potential, are circling like sharks …

Can the town be fixed? Can the local bar owners be reconciled? Can an unlikely visitor be the agent of change and rejuvenation this broken idyll is crying out for?

Full of wisdom, humour and light, THE MUSEUM OF THINGS LEFT BEHIND is a heart-warming fable for our times that asks us to consider what we have lost and what we have gained in modern life. A book about bureaucracy, religion and the people that really get things done, it is above all else a hymn to the inconstancy of time and the pivotal importance of a good cup of tea.

Book Beginnings is at home on Rose City Reader, hosted by Gilion Dumas, and Friday 56 at Freda's Voice, hosted by Freda. I'll also be joining the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted WriterAll quotes are taken from an ARC and may be different in the published book.

BB

'In Which a Letter Stands Out

High above the city, in the dustiest, windiest, sparsest corner of the north-west quadrant, Remi was sorting the mail. He had arrived out of breath at the sorting office.' 1%

I really like the chapter titles in this book, from what I've peeked at and remember from my previous go at it! And of course I'm curious about why Remi might be out of breath and what kind of letter he's going to find which stands out!

F56:

'"Indeed it is. My tea tonic has unique properties. It is designed to keep you alert, regardless of how physically tired you might be. The students here swear by it, and the night shift at the hospital too. I tis made to my own secret recipe!"' 56%

The way in which I'd commit a crime for a tea tonic like that right now! I've been weirdly exhausted the last two weeks where I technically have energy and get things done and yet on the other hand can't seem to get a solid night's sleep and feel myself zoning out throughout the day. I think I'm going to have to get stricter with myself about screentime again xD

BBH:

 This week's question comes from Billy:

Has reading helped you become a better person?

What a fascinating question! I'm gonna cheat and say both yes and no. 

On the yes side, I think reading has made me a much more insightful and empathetic person. Reading has really inspired me to look outside of my own comfort zone, to consider other perspectives on life, to explore for reasons behind things. While I may have learned those skills either way, I think reading set me up for getting there. It's also helped me find more beauty in the small things, I think, and to remember those small things, whether it is how someone likes their tea or their favourite colour. I actually think reading helped my brain store small details like this. 

On the no side, however, I think reading has also made me enjoy being on my own, diving into fictional worlds and imaginative realms. So it has happened so often that I'll say no to meeting people or disappear during family gatherings, just to dive into a book. I just prefer reading to most social interactions, so I guess in a way reading has made me less of a nice person xD I'm sorry that my book is more exciting than your latest work drama! (affectionate)

That's it for me this week! What are you reading? And is it making you a better person?

Comments

  1. Oh nice! Yes, I do forget that reading helps contribute to my antisocial skills! I've always struggled in that area and when I decide I'd rather read that participate in social functions...well...it happens! Lol!


    Here's my BBH

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read for my own amusement so I don't think that I'm a better person for it 🤣

    Have a great week!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2023/09/22/book-blogger-hop-has-reading-helped-you-to-become-a-better-person/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You hit the conundrum of reading perfectly. I do try to not read when I'm with family since it happens so rarely. But, if I'm in a good book, it is so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of this book. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your book sounds so appealing. I am preparing for a trip so I like the idea of going to Vallerosa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Homemade cookies sound so good! I really enjoyed the first three books in Harkness's series. I haven't yet read the fourth. I hope you got a chance to read it liked you were hoping! The Museum of Things Left Behind sounds really good too. I hope you are enjoying it!

    What a great answer for the BHOP question this week. I feel the same way about reading, and, yes, can even relate to preferring books to social gatherings. :-) I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts