Then and Now #8 (9/13 - 9/19)

The Sunday Post is a blog news meme hosted @ Caffeinated Reviewer. See rules here: Sunday Post MemeMailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came in their mailbox during the last week.  It is hosted weekly over at Mailbox Monday and every Friday they do a round-up of some of their favourite, shared reads!  

Last Week

I can't believe we're nearing the end of September already, like where is the time going? I had a great "proper" start to my semester and WOW I had forgotten how exhausting it is to actually be physically present in class for up to 6 hours with 20 other people. It is a lot less taxing when it's online, because of the glorious mute button, but I do feel like I'm learning a lot more! There are also all kinds of exciting assignments coming my way, from vlogs (Lord help me) to blog posts (got that covered I think) and presentations (I'll grin and bear it). 

It's also been a busy week otherwise. I had a dentist visit and now my teeth are all shiny and clean again after I hadn't been since the start of COVID. I also got new glasses and OMG I can see things again! Whether it is the titles of the books on my shelves or actual leaves on trees, I can see! I also realise now how tired I usually got from constantly having to focus and stare, whereas now it's like a weight has been lifted off my eyes. We also had really fun drinks with our study society and we're planning all kind of fun events, both in person and online. 

What I posted this week:

Recommendations

I've recently introduced one of my housemates to the joy that is the TV show Good Omens and now we're binging it together. It's honestly such fun and I'm always amazed that not more people have seen it or read the Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett book it is based on! If you like David Tennant and Michael Sheen and if you have a (mild) background in Christianity/the End Times, this is the show for you!

The End of the World is coming, which means a fussy Angel and a loose-living Demon who’ve become overly fond of life on Earth are forced to form an unlikely alliance to stop Armageddon. But they have lost the Antichrist, an 11-year-old boy unaware he’s meant to bring upon the end of days, forcing them to embark on an adventure to find him and save the world before it’s too late.

Mailbox Monday

My lovely housemates gifted me two books for my birthday as well, so those are featured here! The last two I got from NetGalley.

The Mercies by Kiran Millwood Hargrave (Pan Macmillan; 2/6/2020)

Finnmark, Norway, 1617. Twenty-year-old Maren Magnusdatter stands on the craggy coast, watching the sea break into a sudden and reckless storm. Forty fishermen, including her brother and father, are drowned and left broken on the rocks below. With the menfolk wiped out, the women of the tiny Arctic town of Vardø must fend for themselves.

Three years later, a sinister figure arrives. Absalom Cornet comes from Scotland, where he burned witches in the northern isles. He brings with him his young Norwegian wife, Ursa, who is both heady with her husband's authority and terrified by it. In Vardø, and in Maren, Ursa sees something she has never seen before: independent women. But Absalom sees only a place untouched by God, and flooded with a mighty evil.

As Maren and Ursa are drawn to one another in ways that surprise them both, the island begins to close in on them, with Absalom's iron rule threatening Vardø's very existence.

Inspired by the real events of the Vardø storm and the 1621 witch trials, The Mercies is a story of love, evil, and obsession, set at the edge of civilization.

I have been dying to read this one since 2020! Not only am I lowkey obsessed with Norway, but I also love the idea of an island without men which is suddenly host to a witch hunter!

Catherine House by Elisabeth Thomas (Custom House; 5/12/2020)

Catherine House is a school of higher learning like no other. Hidden deep in the woods of rural Pennsylvania, this crucible of reformist liberal arts study with its experimental curriculum, wildly selective admissions policy, and formidable endowment, has produced some of the world’s best minds: prize-winning authors, artists, inventors, Supreme Court justices, presidents. For those lucky few selected, tuition, room, and board are free. But acceptance comes with a price. Students are required to give the House three years—summers included—completely removed from the outside world. Family, friends, television, music, even their clothing must be left behind. In return, the school promises its graduates a future of sublime power and prestige, and that they can become anything or anyone they desire.

Among this year’s incoming class is Ines, who expects to trade blurry nights of parties, pills, cruel friends, and dangerous men for rigorous intellectual discipline—only to discover an environment of sanctioned revelry. The school’s enigmatic director, Viktória, encourages the students to explore, to expand their minds, to find themselves and their place within the formidable black iron gates of Catherine.

For Ines, Catherine is the closest thing to a home she’s ever had, and her serious, timid roommate, Baby, soon becomes an unlikely friend. Yet the House’s strange protocols make this refuge, with its worn velvet and weathered leather, feel increasingly like a gilded prison. And when Baby’s obsessive desire for acceptance ends in tragedy, Ines begins to suspect that the school—in all its shabby splendor, hallowed history, advanced theories, and controlled decadence—might be hiding a dangerous agenda that is connected to a secretive, tightly knit group of students selected to study its most promising and mysterious curriculum.

Another obvious read for me, cause Dark Academia is the vibe I aspire to. I have quite high expectations of this book so fingers crossed it lives up to all of them!

Trust Me by Kelly Irvin (Thomas Nelson; 2/8/2022)

When her best friend is murdered the same way her brother was, who can she possibly trust?

A decade ago, Delaney Broward discovered her brother’s murdered body at the San Antonio art co-op he founded with friends. Her artist boyfriend, Hunter Nash, went to prison for the murder, despite his not-guilty plea.

This morning, Hunter walks out of prison a free man, having served his sentence.

This afternoon, Delaney finds her best friend dead, murdered in the same fashion as her brother.

Stay out of it or you’re next, the killer warns.

Hunter never stopped loving Delaney, though he can’t blame her for not forgiving her. He knows he’ll get his life back one day at a time, one step at a time. But he’s blindsided to realize he’s a murder suspect. Again.

When Hunter shows up on her doorstep asking her to help him find the real killer, Delaney’s head says to run away, yet her heart tells her there’s more to his story than what came out in the trial. An uneasy truce leads to their probe into a dark past that shatters Delaney’s image of her brother. She can’t stop and neither can Hunter—which lands them both in the crosshairs of a murderer growing more desperate by the hour.

In this gripping romantic suspense, Kelly Irvin plumbs the complexity of broken trust in the people we love—and in God—and whether either can be mended.

We all know I love a thriller, but this one is also listed under 'Christian Fiction' which is not something I usually read. I wonder how the combination will turn out. 

When I'm Gone, Look for Me in the East by Quan Barry (Knopf Doubleday; 2/22/2022)

Tasked with finding the reincarnation of a great lama somewhere in the vast Mongolian landscape, the young monk Chuluun seeks the help of his identical twin, Mun, who as a child was recognized as a reincarnated being but has since renounced the monastic life they once shared.
 
Proving once again that she is a writer of immense range and imagination, Quan Barry carries us across a terrain as unforgiving as it is beautiful and culturally varied, from the western Altai mountains to the eerie starkness of the Gobi Desert to the ancient capital of Chinggis Khan. As their country stretches before them, questions of faith—along with more earthly matters of love, sex, and brotherhood—haunt the twins, who can hear each other’s thoughts.
 
Are our lives our own, or do we belong to something larger? When I’m Gone, Look for Me in the East is a stunningly far-flung examination of our individual struggle to retain our convictions and discover meaning in a fast-changing world, as well as a paean to Buddhist acceptance of what simply is.

Love how synchronized the publication date is! Aside from that I am super intrigued by the premise of this book and all the themes it is looking to incorporate.

So that's me! What's new for you, book and life-wise?

Comments

  1. I am happy for you having new glasses and "shiny teeth."

    Your books look tempting, especially Catherine House. Enjoy them all, and your in-person learning, too. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha thanks, they're major improvements xD Catherine House has been calling to me for ages so I can't wait to dip into it. Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  2. Great to hear you and your housemate are enjoying watching Good Omen - I really must watch it soon, as I loved the book! As for my reading, I have continued to work my way through Miracles by C.S. Lewis and The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. Take care and happy reading! 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's honestly such a joy, it's just really funny with genuinely touching moments as well! I do have to go read the book now. You've got two big books there to work your way through, I hope you're enjoying them. Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed the book Good Omens, so I need to try the series! I'm sure being back to physical classes is exhausting, it has been exhausting being back to full time school with mostly all the students at my new high school as well. Have a good week!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss do give it a try! And I can't imagine what it's like to suddenly have to teach a full classroom again when the online thing has become so ingrained! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad back to class physically is going well. And congrats on the new glasses!

    Catherine House looks good, I love dark academia too. Looks promising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, seeing well is honestly so underrated xD Catherine House is definitely the next one I'm going to read! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  5. I loved Good Omens! Both the book and the series. Glad your housemate approves of your taste!

    You got some great books. Yea for books as presents!!!

    Have a good week and good luck with your classes.

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, major relieve that she also is enjoying it xD Books are and will always be the best present! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  6. I totally can't deal with the fact that September is half way over either. It's crazy! Every month seems to fly by faster.
    I'm glad to read getting back to class is going well. But I can totally understand that it's much more tiring.
    Have a great week and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like where does the time go?! Hopefully my class-stamina will build back up soon, although from January I'll be back in my room alone to write my thesis xD Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  7. Looks like a busy week for you. I think it would be such a struggle to do online schooling, Love some of those books covers....really vivid colors there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It honestly wasn't always easy to stay focused online, but once you get used to rocking up to class in your PJs it's hard to train yourself out of it! And yes, the covers are honestly all stunning. Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  8. Oh man...my glasses are SO scratched up I can hardly see my monitor or the TV. When will I ever go get my dang eyes checked so I can get new glasses?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd recommend doing it as soon as possible because honestly being able to see is great. It turned out my previous prescription was all kinds of wrong, so I have been staring at leaves and bus announcements and even birds like they're revelations ever since I got my new ones xD Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  9. Trust Me looks really good. All of your books look like good ones. I have to get my new glasses in the next couple of weeks.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound really good so I hope I enjoy it! Ooh yay for more new glasses! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  10. This month does seem to be flying by, doesn't it? It sounds like the semester has gotten off to a good start for you, even if tiring. I got new glasses this past summer and can see so much better! I had put off going to the optometrist for too long. I haven't seen Good Omens yet because I keep telling myself I will read the book first--but I probably should just watch the show and read the book later. I have heard good things about Catherine House and want to read that one too. I hope you enjoy your new books! Have a great week, Juli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely been loads of fun to get back to it! I had done the same with the optometrist and the dentist and I just feel so much better having all of that seen to and sorted. I decided to just enjoy the show and it has just inspired me more to get to the book. Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  11. New glasses can make such a difference!
    The Mercies has such a gorgeous cover, it's enough to make me want to read it - but then, the story also sounds good!
    Have a great week, and happy birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do, I get so much less tired now! And I love it when a cover and blurb come together to form the perfect sell! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  12. Pretty covers.

    LOL on your being able to see...glasses do make a difference. ENJOY!!

    Hope you have an enjoyable week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost felt like tearing up on the first day I wore them, just because I could see so many things xD Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  13. I definitely need to make an eye appointment. I am in dire need of a new prescription, I think. Happy reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO IT! Such a difference, honestly, less headaches, and I'm way less tired at the end of the day. Also, eyedrops are your friend xD Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  14. Oh! Being able to see is so important. I got clean teeth too. Feels good.
    The Mercies sounds very good.
    Have a good week, enjoy school and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I got a tune-up or an update and am once again running smoothly xD Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts