Friday Friyay: 'These Violent Delights' by Chloe Gong

Happy Friday! It's been a grey and cold week, but the few moments of sunshine in between have been brilliant. I also finally gifted myself a copy of a book I have been wanting to read for ages: These Violent Delights by Chloe Gong. It literally has everything I could ask for: 1920's Shanghai, Romeo & Juliet, gangsters, and knives! I'm making it one of my train-reads for next week and knowing myself I'll race through it. 

The year is 1926, and Shanghai hums to the tune of debauchery

A blood feud between two gangs runs the streets red, leaving the city in chaos. At the heart of it is eighteen-year-old Juliette Cai, a former flapper who has returned to assume her role as the proud heir of the Scarlet Gang - a network of criminals far above the law. Their only rivals in power are the White Flowers, who have fought the Scarlets for generations. And behind every move is their heir, Roma Montagov, Juliette's first love ... and first betrayal.

But when gangsters on both sides show signs of instability culminating in clawing their own throats out, the people start to whisper. Of a contagion, a madness. Of a monster in the shadows. As the deaths stack up, Juliette and Roma must set their guns - and grudges - aside and work together, for if they can't stop this mayhem, then there will be no city left for either to rule.

Book Beginnings is at home on Rose City Reader, hosted by Gilion Dumas, and Friday 56 at Freda's Voice, hosted by Freda. I'll also be joining the Book Blog Hop, hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. 

BB:

'In glittering Shanghai, a monster awakens.
Its eyes snap open in the belly of the Huangpu River, jaws unhinging at once to taste the foul blood seeping into the waters.'
 p.1

That's just a stunning opening! There is something mystical to it, but then the mention of the Huangpu makes me slightly teary-eyed. Saturday is the one-year anniversary of me leaving Shanghai and I do still miss it, almost every day. I can't wait for Chloe Gong to take me back there.

F56:

'A smattering of sound came from right outside Juliette's bedroom door then. Juliette frowned, listening while Kathleen and Rosalind continued on, with no indication they had heard the same noise.' p.56

I love that Juliette, Kathleen and Rosalind are a trio here and not pitched against each other. I love that they're all together in her bedroom, doing whatever it is that daughters of gangster families do!

BBH:

This week's question is another great suggestion by Elizabeth from Silver's Reviews:

If you read a print book after reading a few e-books, do you find yourself tapping the bottom of the page so it will turn?

Elizabeth, are you psychic? Cause this literally happened to me this week. I have done a lot more print reading these past few weeks, but after 2 days of exclusive Kindle reading I did kind of stumble occasionally. Which is so odd, but it's also a great example of how quickly certain behaviours sink in! I even sometimes find myself trying to scroll on my Kindle if I have been reading on my phone. 

What happens quite often though is that I'm so in the reading experience, whether it's print or digital, that I don't even realize I am turning pages. That's the dream!

So that's me! What are you reading?

Comments

  1. Great excerpts...and I LOVE that cover. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, both the quotes and the cover are so eye-catching! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  2. Retellings of classic stories always fascinate me. Enjoy the read!

    My Friday post: https://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2021/08/friday-focus-friday-56-and-book_0281242474.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always so curious to see what people do with their adaptations, every one seems to be able to mine something new from these old stories! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of a retelling of Romeo and Juliet but I have avoided this one afraid I would not enjoy it. Guess I will never know unless I pick it up lol
    Here is my link:
    https://twogirlsandtheirbookishlife.blogspot.com/2021/08/book-beginnings-on-friday-before.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha that would be the way to find out, but maybe I can let you know! Although I may be a little biased in favour of it already... Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  4. I am sure if I ever try to read a print book again, this will happen to me , but since I am safely all e-book, I don't have to contend with changing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be almost fully e-book, but since I've moved back to Europe I've been buying a lot more print books again! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  5. This book sounds great. All those elements! I hope you enjoy it. This week I am spotlighting a book from deep in my TBR pile - More Than Fiends by Maureen Child. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book is juggling a lot of themes, but I've heard a lot of positive things about it so fingers crossed I'll adore it! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  6. Glad you are enjoying this one! Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly got sucked in straightaway! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  7. This is one I have on my GR list! It sounds wicked!! :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed you get a chance to read it soon as well, it sounds absolutely epic! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  8. This sounds so good! And that cover is stunning! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a lovely weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many details to the cover that I keep discovering more! I hope you had a lovely weekend as well! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for dropping by my blog. I read very few e-books so I haven't gotten into the habit of tapping print books. Besides my e-reader is a bit of a mess and if I tap it moves the text back and shows detail on the page. I have to slide my finger. Grr. My Friday quotes from the Tattooist of Auschwitz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh a slide would definitely confuse me a little as well, although perhaps it would make the transition to phone easier! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  10. I like the quotes. Enjoy your current read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty good ones, although I do say so myself ;) Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  11. These Violent Delights was excellent. I can't wait for the sequel. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh more positive endorsement! I'm pretty sure that once I finish TVD I won't be able to wait for the next installment. It's a duology, right? Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  12. Very interesting excerpts. They have me curious about this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you get a chance to read it soon! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  13. I don’t swipe…but I do tap. :)

    My site: https://fiftytwo.blog/2021/08/26/book-blogger-hop-how-ereaders-ruin-us/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts