Review: Sunrise to Sunset by Laurie Bowler

For everyone who hasn't read my review of Moon Rising, I gave it four stars. This, Sunrise to Sunset, it the sequel, in which we witness all of Nessy's adventures, now that she has woken up from being transformed into a real vampire, instead of the Gulon/human/vampire-mix she was in MR. But wait, she still is unique. This book only makes you want more. Read the reviews for both books and enter the giveaway!

Nessy awakes from her unconscious state, with no memory of who she is or her purpose in life. Charles struggles as he tries to provide her with as much information as he can about herself. Saddened and concerned, he eventually tells her about her former life, and true immortal state. Dismayed, a still unconvinced Hera takes Nessy back to the past in the form of the Gulon. There she meets other Gulons who had come to their aid, along with the covens that were gathered, hoping to glimpse their new queen and ruler of the underworld, little does Nessy realise that person is her!

The continued threat and battles from the detested and sinister Tellis coven waged on, as they joined forces with a vicious and blood thirsty coven known for their violent massacres and barbaric ways of feeding, in a desperate attempt to retain possession and control of their once dominance.

Nessy has to battle her adversaries in order to protect the human race from extinction. Moreover, she has to protect her title as Queen and ruler of not only vampiredom; but for the good of the immortal race and the mortals. With Charles, Hera and the Gulons, they must succeed despite Nessy’s loss of memory.
I took this summary from Laurie's website, because after reading my own I was afraid to give away to much of the story! I really liked Moon Rising and was really exited to read its sequel!

I really liked the introduction of new characters! Especially Carter, who is turned into a vampire halfway through the book. His reaction to all his new powers would be mine! The introduction of the Cassis-coven was also really good. It is the complete opposite to the Eaves-coven. They are gross, cruel and don't clean up after their kills. This boo kwas a real opportunity for Nessy to grow, although I still feel as if Charles is making a lot of decisions for her.

The relationship between Hera and Melody (Charles' niece) is heart-warming and shows a different side of the Gulon. They were always very friendly and understanding and now that the others packs have been introduced you can see a different, stricter side.

I felt as if Laurie had to many good ideas for one book, causing some confusion at times. A lot of things are happening, which is good because the pace needs to be high if you want to keep everyone interested, but sometimes it all happened to fast, leading to me being confused about what time it was in the book and making it seem chaotic.
As I mentioned above I think Nessy needs to be a little more independent, but I can see why the author wrote her the way she is. She just woke up and there isn't a lot of time to explain everything and instruct her.

A scene I really enjoyed was the scene where Charles and nessy were at the beach and simply enjoyed the sea. This leads me to something else:
I really like the fact that Nessy is part human, part vampire and part Gulon and that her DNA keeps on changing. It is something new that I haven't read in other vampire-books and makes it original.

I give this book ....
 /


3/4 Universes!!!
I did like this book and the only thing that kept me from giving it 4 Universes is that it was too much for one book. If you introduce too much characters and name them before you really know them that leads to some confusion, at least with me!

How do you feel about the book??

Comments

Popular Posts