Waiting on Wednesday: The Midnight Palace by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

It's that time of the week again! WoW is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.


The book I can't wait for this weel/month/year is: The Midnight Palace by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.
The book begins with a chase through the streets of Calcutta in May 1916. Lieutenant Peake pauses for breath outside the ruins of the Jheeter's Gate station knowing that he only has a few hours to live. Inside his overcoat he is sheltering two newborn babies - twins, a boy and a girl. Pursued by his would-be assassins, Peake runs at full tilt to the house of Aryami Bose, to whom he entrusts the children. In 1932 we meet the boy, Ben, and his group of friends the night before they are due to leave St Patricks orphanage. They have formed a secret club, The Chowbar Society, that meets each week at midnight in the old ruin they have christened The Midnight Palace. Their final meeting is due that evening but then Aryami Bose turns up at the orphanage with Sheere, Ben's sister, and tells them the story of the parents they never knew. Their father was an engineer and writer who died in tragic circumstances at the inauguration of Jheeter's Gate station. But as the novel unfolds, there is more to this story than meets the eye and they are lured by a shadowy figure from the past into a final showdown in the ruins.
Summary from Amazon.
I loved The Shadow of the Wind and I'm re-reading the Angel's Game right now! Carlos Ruiz Zafon has an amazing talent for descriptive writing! His books seriously have me on the edge of my seat. This is probably his first "real" book that doesn't take place in Barcelona, Spain. I read The Prince of the Mist, which is an AMAZING book that he wrote for young adults. It is soo tragic and I have been working on the review for ages now, because I can't give it the essence I want it to have!

Anyway, what are you waiting for?

Comments

  1. Sounds like a very exciting read and Zafon is an excellent story-teller. Great pick

    ReplyDelete
  2. here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/01/waiting-on-wednesday_12.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I unfortunately haven't read any of these books but this one sounds really good , might have to add it to my list.

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts