Reader's Block Remedy: Podcasts

 Hi there, I'm back again with more quickfire remedy suggestions for that dreaded reader's block! Last time we covered Webtoons, a way to keep your mind engaged with storytelling without the time-commitment and long attention span necessary for a full novel. Today, I want to tackle a slightly different aspect of reader's block. 

Sometimes I find myself reading but not taking anything in. I know there are large themes at play, that the book is going deeper than I can take in. Because of this I often find myself butting heads with classics and "big" novels. I adore the Classics, I love knowing I'm reading something that has been treasured and recommended over generations. But sometimes you just can't connect to it, it becomes too imposing. Similarly, the novels that everyone is talking about, the ones that are really hitting the zeitgeist and will be future classics, become intimidating. What if I can't understand them? What if I'm the only reader that cannot connect with them? So I keep starting them and stopping, halting halfway through and then never coming back. And then I don't want to start anything else because clearly I'm a failed reader.

This is when I turn to podcasts, book podcasts to be specific. When I can't figure it out myself, I love having someone gently guide me through it. When I can't connect, I love it when someone takes my hand and introduces me. Below I've listed a few of my favourite literary podcasts of the moment. You can find all of these in the usual places like Spotify and Apple Music.

Lore, by Aaron Mahnke

Lore is a bi-weekly podcast (as well as a TV show and book series) about dark historical tales. Each episode explores the mysterious creatures, tragic events, and unusual places that fill the pages of history. Because sometimes the truth is more frightening than fiction.

I hear you, why are you talking about a podcast that is not directly tied to books? Because in many ways the stories told by Lore are at the heart of most novels. Mahnke's podcast was one of the first I listened to and I was completely taken in by the podcast's calm and knowledgeable tone. He breaks down the tradition and transmission behind folklore and legends and as you listen you begin to see the threads behind why certain stories are popular and why they continue to be relevant. It's like a folklore primer, but fun! I also appreciate this one is immensely popular, but hey, it's never wrong to be reminded.

Lit Century, hosted by Sandra Newman and Catherine Nichols

Hosts Sandra Newman and Catherine Nichols choose one book for each year of the twentieth century (Nella Larsen's Passing, 1936, Jacqueline Susann's Valley of the Dolls, 1966; Mohandas Gandhi's Indian Home Rule, 1909) and talk about it in its historical and literary context. Join the hosts and their special guests to find out what the 20th century was all about.

Supported by my favourite lit website, LitHub, Newman and Nichols read one book for every year of the twentieth century. While some of them were very familiar to me already (hey Shirley Jackson, I adore you and The Haunting of Hill House!), other episodes introduced me to new books and authors that might have intimidated me. For example, Nella Larsen's Passing is a book I have always wanted to read but didn't know how to approach. After Newman and Nichols discussed it, with some amazing help from Megan Abbot and Kaitlyn Greenidge, I now have a way to connect with it.  

Storybound, hosted by Jude Brewster

Storybound is a radio theater program designed for the podcast age. In each episode, listeners will be treated to their favorite authors and writers reading some of their most impactful stories, designed with powerful and immersive sound environments. Brought to you by Lit Hub Radio and The Podglomerate.

I know, another LitHub Radio sponsored podcast but what can I say, they're good! The magic with Storybound is that it is a whole audio experience, not just a reading! I recently listened to the Robert J. Jones episode where he read an excerpt from The Prophets and I was blown away by it. This is a beautiful way of getting a feel for a book and its tone, a way of feeling its magic and getting sucked in. The music and "sound environment" created by the team are beautiful and really elevate Storybound beyond many other podcasts.

Literary Friction, by Carrie Plitt and Octavia Bright

Literary Friction is a conversation about books and ideas, hosted by friends Carrie and Octavia. Each month we interview an author about their book and build the show around a related theme – anything from resistance to coastlines to corpses. Listen in for lively discussion, book recommendations and a little music too.

My absolute favourite podcast is My Favourite Murder and the reason for that is that the friendship between the two hosts shines through. Similarly, I love listening to Plitt and Bright talk about books and interviewing authors. The special episode with Raven Leilani is a revelation! I also enjoy how many female authors are interviewed and how they move across genres and mediums as well. 

So these are just a few of the literary podcasts I listen to in order to get back into the reading groove and to find new books to dig into. Do you listen to podcasts? If yes, please share some recommendations! I'm always looking for new voices to listen to!

Comments

Popular Posts