Friday Memes, A Bit of Fry & Laurie and Atwood's 'Oryx and Crake'


This is my last Friday in Chamonix (cue sad music) but I've had a great holiday despite now looking a little bit like a lobster. I might post some pictures once I'm home but I did put up some on my Instagram, in case you want to see some mountains! But Friday is a day for memes and I very much like all the ones below.

Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer and this week's question was submitted by Elizabeth from Silver's Reviews.

Do covers pull you in?
Great question to which there is quite an easy answer. Covers are definitely a major draw but they can also be a massive turn-off. Sometimes I really can't stand the cliched romance novel covers with the posed couple. Back in the day they were disgustingly romantic, nowadays they usually feature a couple halfway through sex! I tend to be drawn to more abstract covers, in the sense that I prefer it if a cover features artwork or some kind of design rather than a picture. If I see one of those on Netgalley I'm always drawn to it.
 Bête
Take the two covers above, the classic A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess and Bête by Adam Roberts. Although the two don't seem to have a lot in common design wise, both really draw me in because they're different and they're art, in their own right.But the cover doesn't tend to be the decisive factor. Although a cover might draw me in, I don't read it unless the synopsis is good. Also, yesterday I found this website, The Book Cover Archive which is exactly what it says on the tin: an archive of innumerous covers. It's amazing to browse through and I sort of want all of them as posters!

GFCFollow Friday is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee and this week's question is a lot of fun:

Post a funny Youtube video (doesn't have to be book related)!

I love Youtube, potentially a little bit too much. One of the main reasons I got addicted to it was because it has all of the episodes of some of my favourite comedy shows on it, such as Who's Line Is It Anyway, That Mitchell and Webb Look and, of course, A Bit of Fry And Laurie. And it's from the latter that I'm sharing one of my absolute favourite sketches. This one always makes me laugh! It's called... 'Oprah Winfrey'.

Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam Trilogy, #1)Book Beginnings and Friday 56 are hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader and Freda over at Freda's Voice respectively. This week I'm using Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. I was accepted for Atwood's MaddAddam on Netgalley which is the final book in a trilogy, so now I'm trying to read the others relatively quickly, although I think they both have about 450 pages.
Oryx and Crake is at once an unforgettable love story and a compelling vision of the future. Snowman, known as Jimmy before mankind was overwhelmed by a plague, is struggling to survive in a world where he may be the last human, and mourning the loss of his best friend, Crake, and the beautiful and elusive Oryx whom they both loved. In search of answers, Snowman embarks on a journey–with the help of the green-eyed Children of Crake–through the lush wilderness that was so recently a great city, until powerful corporations took mankind on an uncontrolled genetic engineering ride. Margaret Atwood projects us into a near future that is both all too familiar and beyond our imagining.

BB:
'Snowman wakes before dawn. He lies unmoving, listening to the tide coming in, wave after wave sloshing over the various barricades, wish-wash, wish-wash, the rhythm of heartbeat. He would so like to believe he is still asleep.' p.1
The novels are post-apocalyptic and I think this beginning sort of makes that clear. So far Snowman (actually called Jimmy) is quite a sympathetic character and I quite like how Atwood is building up this post-apocalyptic world.

F56:
'Several years passed. They must have passed, thinks Snowman: he can’t actually remember much about them except that his voice cracked and he began to sprout body hair.' p.56
This is Snowman reminiscing, I think. Snowman is quite funny in how laconic he seems to be, but then some of his memories are quite detailed. I hope this one keeps developing as well as it is now!

So, this was my post for today! Hop over to my review for The Time Machine if you feel like it or leave a link in the comments to your own meme post!

Comments

  1. Snowman sounds like a great character to read. Honestly though, I can't read about anything pre- or post-apocalyptic...gives me nightmares! :-) You can find min here...http://lisaksbookthoughts.blogspot.com/ (Need someone to teach me to make a shortcut for me link!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're definitely right about a cover being just as likely to repel you. There have been several books I haven't even looked at because the cover looked cheap or just didn't appeal to me only to read reviews on them that showed they were just my kind of book! I haven't read much Atwood so I'll be interested to hear what you think of this series. The excerpts look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not much of a cover viewer. I tend to look more at the author and book description. I'm just not very visual. I think your beginning and 56 are intriguing but it doesn't sound like a writing style I would find engaging. I hope you are enjoying the story. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an interesting trilogy...I read Oryx and Crake, Year of the Flood, and MaddAddam. The only one I didn't like was the last one. It felt too much like a summary, rather than a story.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter just finished this book and is getting ready to read the second book in the series, The Year of the Flood. The quotes are very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That video was hilarious! I've added you to my feedly. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been afraid of this title. Thought it would be too complicated for me to understand. Your Friday 56 makes me want to give it a try. Margaret Atwood is such a wonderful writer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That video was too funny =D What a great topic this week, I love to laugh
    Thanks for stopping by my FF
    Old follower :)
    Monique @ Mo_Books

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure about this one. Is it another diatribe against big bad corporations? I love the description of the sloshing waves in the opening, and the 56 excerpt makes me wonder how a young child could have survived to adolescence.
    Thanks for leaving a comment on my post about MURDER ON ASTOR PLACE. Thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so funny! I've never heard of this show! Hahaha! Thanks for visiting Cornerfolds!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Atwood's trilogy did interest me at one point, but somehow I never got around to starting it. Hope you enjoy it. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL. I've never seen this before. Whole new sides of these two actors. Happy Friday! Thanks for stopping by my blog. :D My FF

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oryx and Crake sounds very good. Will have to check it out. So you got a wee bit sunburnt! Ouch, but what a lovely way to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Covers definitely pull me in! If I don't like the cover, I won't pick up the book.
    I've not read anything by her and somehow I feel that makes me a bad Canadian. :-)
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been wanting to read this series by Attwood, but I have never gotten around to it. Maybe I'll bump these two titles near the top of my list now that I I know the sequel is coming soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, romantic titles have clichéd covers. They also be misleading, as sometimes the cover represents nothing about the plot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a great vid. Made me laugh and I haven't read anything by Margarat Atwood, but I've heard such great things.
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also avoid any books with trashy looking covers. Thanks for posting the link to the book cover archive. I'll have to take an extended visit one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Exactly, Julie. Covers that are bad don't even get my attention. I think the author needs to pay as much attention to the cover as the content of the book.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness, I love Fry and Laurie! I haven't seen this one before and this is amazing :D Happy Friday!

    Thanks for stopping by my post earlier, following you via GFC :)

    My FFF

    Obsessive Compulsive Reader

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Margaret Atwood's descriptions are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE beautiful covers. I can't help it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL..Loved the video..:)
    New GFC follower..
    Here is my FF

    -Nikita @Njkinny's World of Books & Stuff

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts