Friday Friyay: 'Lone Castle in the Mirror' by Mizuki Tsujimura, trans. Philip Gabriel

Happy Friday! I've been in Germany for almost two weeks now and since Monday I've also got WiFi access again, hallelujah! Not having WiFi was weirdly good in a detox-way and I got loads of reading done, but I am also happy to be connected to the grid again! Turns out it is quite important to have access to your emails when your mid-emigration xD Anyways, I'm getting settled in here and so is the cat. Work starts officially next week, so these are my last few days of freedom! One of the books I'm gonna start reading this weekend is Lone Castle in the Mirror by Mizuki Tsujimura.

In a tranquil neighborhood of Tokyo seven students are avoiding going to school – hiding in their darkened bedrooms, unable to face their family and friends – until the moment they find the mirrors in their bedrooms are shining.

At a single touch, they are pulled from their lonely lives into to a wondrous castle straight out of a Grimm’s fairy tale. This whimsical place, oddly lacking in food and running water but full of electrical sockets, is home to a petulant girl in a mask, named Wolf Queen and becomes their playground and refuge during school hours. Hidden within the walls they’re told is a key that will grant one wish, and a set of clues with which to find it. But there's a catch: the key must be found by the end of the school year and they must leave the premises by five o'clock each day or else suffer a fatal end.

As time passes, a devastating truth emerges: only those brave enough to share their stories will be saved. And so they begin to unlock each other's stories: how a boy is showered with more gadgets than love; how another suffers a painful and unexplained rejection and how a girl lives in fear of her predatory stepfather. As they struggle to abide by the rules of the game, a moving story unfolds, of seven characters trapped in a cycle of misunderstanding and loneliness, who are ultimately set free by the power of friendship, empathy, and sacrifice.

Book Beginnings is at home on Rose City Reader, hosted by Gilion Dumas, and Friday 56 at Freda's Voice, hosted by Freda. I'll also be joining the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer.

BB:

'I sometimes find myself dreaming.' 1%

This is a very straightforward and yet somehow mysterious opening line. We all dream, don't we? Yet this doesn't seem like the regular kind of dreaming. The prologue is pretty short and seems to se tup some of the narrative without giving too much away. It's definitely whetted my appetite.

F56

'Eyes shut tight, she didn't know how to respond, and just gave a firm nod.
The very idea that she didn't need to fight made her whole body feel enveloped in peace.' 56%

Love these lines! I would also be super relieved if I didn't have to fight. I have no idea what's happening here, but I am curious to find out. I do remember, from other Japanese fiction I've read, that the prose is very different, much more straightforward than in Western literature, so I wonder how that translates (ha!) in this genre!

BBH:

This week's question was suggested by Billy himself:

Have you ever skipped ahead to read the ending?

No, never. I have felt the temptation, absolutely, but that was only really the excitement of the story working its magic. I always want to reach the end, but in the right way, by reading all the page sin between. Admittedly I don't always read every page with the same amount of detail, but skipping ahead probably would make the ending feel less impactful to me. So basically that's a long no.

That's it from me this Friday! 

Comments

  1. Wow, Lonely Castle in the Mirror sounds amazing! I gotta read it.

    I very occasionally peek ahead to make sure a favorite character makes it to the end of the book. But I don't read the whole ending. That would spoil the fun!

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, I was immediately hooked by it! I do think if you have a favourite character that already means you're invested, do you've done some of the work already xD Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  2. An interesting sounding book.

    I used to skip to the ending then read all the way through sometimes when I was younger. I don't any more.

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/09/30/book-blogger-hop-have-you-ever-skipped-ahead-to-read-the-ending/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think it makes sense when you're younger because you want that assurance it will be ok! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  3. Great excerpts! I am intrigued. Thanks for sharing, and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, they do get right to the tone of the book I think! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  4. I love the sound of this one. Plus, that cover is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is so beautiful, it immediately caught my eye! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  5. Wow. Your book sounds so compelling. No wonder you selected it. Hope it all ends up okay for your favorite characters.

    The Cartographers is this week's featured book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah I'm glad you like the sound of it! I'm definitely very excited to get into it! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  6. The book sounds so good. Great excerpts. I'm glad you are getting settled in. Good luck with the job next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, the set-up is so good! And thanks for the good luck, I'll need it! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like an interesting read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a lovely weekend yourself! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  8. This looks so interesting! And that cover is stunning.

    Ash @ Essentially Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree with you on both! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  9. Wow, those are some powerful lines! Love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, I thought they were stunning as well! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts