Friday Friyay: 'Laxdæla saga' by Anonymous, trans. by Magnus Magnusson & Hermann Pálsson

Happy Friday! How has another week passed? And how is time flying this way? I've still got about 2 weeks until I officially move and then my job/PhD don't technically start till the 1st of October but, you know me, I've already started reading for it. But instead of sharing from the academic books, I thought I'd share from one of the texts I'll be analysing and discussing in the PhD itself. So meet Laxdæla saga!

Written around 1245 by an unknown author, the Laxdaela Saga is an extraordinary tale of conflicting kinships and passionate love, and one of the most compelling works of Icelandic literature. Covering 150 years in the lives of the inhabitants of the community of Laxriverdale, the saga focuses primarily upon the story of Gudrun Osvif's-daughter: a proud, beautiful, vain and desirable figure, who is forced into an unhappy marriage and destroys the only man she has truly loved - her husband's best friend. A moving tale of murder and sacrifice, romance and regret, the Laxdaela Saga is also a fascinating insight into an era of radical change - a time when the Age of Chivalry was at its fullest flower in continental Europe, and the Christian faith was making its impact felt upon the Viking world.

Book Beginnings is at home on Rose City Reader, hosted by Gilion Dumas, and Friday 56 at Freda's Voice, hosted by Freda. I'll also be joining the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer.

BB:

'There was a man called Ketil Flat-Nose, who was the son of Bjorn Buna. Ketil was a powerful and well-born lord in Norway; he lived in Romsdale, in Romsdale Province, which lies between Sunnmore and Nordmore.' p.1

Ok, I have to admit that this is hardly the most exciting of beginnings. These kind of sagas are "historical" in that they refer to actual places and also to people who may have actually existed. They are far from actual, factual, history, but they set themselves up through these kinds of references and genealogies to create a sense of history and accuracy. As such, the beginnings are interesting but not gripping per se as a reader.

F56:

'By now, old age was weighing heavily upon Unn; she never rose before noon and always went early to bed. She allowed no one to come and consult her between the time she went to bed in the evening and the time she was dressed again; and she would give an irate reply if anyone asked about her health.' p.56

Unn (the Deep-Minded, as she is awesomely known) is such an important character within the first part of the saga but this excerpt just made me laugh. I hope to be like this when I'm old, but I must also admit I'm already a little like this with my phone on airplane-mode from 10pm xD

BBH:

This week's question was suggested by Billy himself:

Is it difficult to find new books in local bookstores?

I'd say this reaalllyyy depends on where you live, i.e. what local is for you. In the city I currently live, which is full of bookstores and occupied by thousands of students, including internationals, I can find a lot of recent releases in my local bookstores. And I think the town I'm moving to soon, since it's also a university city, will also have pretty well-stocked bookstores. But I have definitely lived in places where the supply was slower. It is one of the reasons why I read so much on my Kindle now and why I order a lot of books, when I want a physical copy. 

So that's it for me today! How are your local bookstores?

Comments

  1. Great excerpts! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are very lucky and have a lot of libraries (3) local to us and in town we have a couple of bookshops.

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/09/02/book-blogger-hop-is-it-difficult-to-find-new-books-in-local-bookstores/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh libraries are such life-savers but also just lovely local spaces to have, so congratulations on having three nearby! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  3. I'm not familiar with this particular saga, but it seems interesting. Thanks for mentioning it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many sagas that even after studying it for a few years I'm still encountering new ones! And then some haven't even been edited and published yet, so they only exist in manuscript form xD Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  4. This one's new to me, but it sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is interesting so far! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  5. I haven't heard of this one but those are great snippets. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The F56 definitely is the one that did it for me! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a very compelling book. Enjoy!

    This week I conquered the Grapes of Wrath. My review and quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh Grapes of Wrath is quite an intense book, no? Can't wait to read your thoughts! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  7. We have a Barnes and Noble, but little local shops are harder to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaay for Barnes & Nobles, but sometimes the little local shops are the best so they're worth the search! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  8. Unn definitely has the right idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, she's such a vibe in that quote! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  9. the Deep- Minded. Love that! :)

    I find in my area that university towns definitely seem to have more bookstores, or at least places to acquire books, other than the other less bookish towns I guess...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great moniker! University towns are definitely places where bookstores amplify! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  10. I won't go so far as to say that your book beginning sounds super interesting, but it does grab my attention more than a more academic-type book might! I'd give it a go.

    Our favorite local bookstore closed, so we don't get to actual bookstores much anymore. Alas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I will also admit that the beginning isn't super catchy but it is traditional in its own way! And what a shame that your favourite one closed, fingers crossed a new one might pop up! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  11. I hope you enjoyed this read!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still working on it but I am enjoying it as well! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts