Friday Friyay: 'Death in the Castle' by Pearl S. Buck

Happy Friday everyone! We have had some beautiful weather this week which always helps to lift the mood. I've also gotten a little bit more used to once again being employed and gotten to grips with some aspects of my PhD. But the real work doesn't start till next week; I've got my first official meeting with my supervisor and the department on Monday! This week I have tried to get my blog and social media into a semblance of order so that I can stay active with it when the work really starts. My Backlog Challenge is also going pretty well. Since starting it almost 4 weeks ago I've read 15 books from the backlog! Not bad, if I say so myself! The last one I read was Death in the Castle by Pearl S. Buck!

An ancient castle, a cash-strapped and psychologically unstable aristocratic couple, and the rumor of ghosts weave together in this sparkling historical mystery from Pearl S. Buck

Sir Richard Sedgeley and Lady Mary are broke and without an heir to the castle that's been in their family for centuries. Tourists are infrequent, and the offers they've received are not ones they can live with: a state-run prison or a museum in America. What is the remedy, and is it true that there's treasure hidden somewhere under their noses? Featuring a cast of outsize characters—timid Mary, her possibly mad husband, Wells the Butler, and his mysterious daughter Kate—Death in the Castle is a suspenseful delight by the author of The Good Earth. This ebook features an illustrated biography of Pearl S. Buck including rare images from the author's estate.

Book Beginnings is at home on Rose City Reader, hosted by Gilion Dumas, and Friday 56 at Freda's Voice, hosted by Freda. I'll also be joining the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer.

BB:

'The delicate sunshine of an English spring shone through the tall and mullioned windows of the castle.' 1%

I mean, what a start! You can just picture it, even if you've never seen an English spring for yourself. The writing is super evocative and it sets the perfect balance for this book that is both nostalgic and suspenseful

F56:

'Sir Richard turned his nobly shaped head, gave Wells a royal look, and held out his right hand. On the forefinger was the gold ring set with the large ruby. Wells came forward and bowing over it, he kissed it.' 56%

I loved these lines because they give a perfect impression of Sir Richard. When I first picked them I hadn't read the book yet, so they just seemed fun. But now that I have read the book it is honestly just tragic.

BBH:

This week's question was suggested by Elizabeth from Silver's Reviews:

Are you lost if you don't have a book to read?

Absolutely! When I don't know what I'm reading, when I don't have a book to return to or dip into in the evening, I don't really know what to do with myself. Even if I'm not actively reading, I want to have a book to think about. (This makes me sound a little like an addict...) This is one of the reasons why I'm always reading multiple books. I currently have a physical book on my bedside table, two or three current reads on my Kindle, and at least one audiobook I'm listening to. How I keep them separate is a mystery, but I do!

That's it for me! What do you think of Death in the Castle? And please reassure me I'm not the only one absolutely addicted to having books at the ready!

Comments

  1. Sounds like an interesting book.

    I would be lost without a book. I like to have both physical and ebook on the go so that I am always prepared 🤣

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/10/07/book-blogger-hop-are-you-lost-if-you-dont-have-a-book-to-read/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never knew about this Pearl Buck book. Sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of your current read. Good luck with your work duties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read any Buck but do have the Good Earth trilogy on my GR list. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. I know she is a good writer. Why haven't I read more? Do you like her writing in this book? My quotes are from REMARKABLY BRIGHT CREATURES

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can totally understand always want to have a book to think about. Even when I alternate between my hobbies, I like to make sure I'm in the middle of a book. :D

    My Book Blogger Hop Post

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely have a pile of books at the ready. And you have to take more books than you think you will read along just in case, right?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts