Friday Friyay: 'The Unbroken' (Magic of the Lost #1) by C.L. Clark

Happy Friday! How are we already in the last week and a half of February? I know it's the shortest month but truly... Also, wanted to say a quick thank you for all the kind words last week about me catching COVID, it really helped me to hear other people's experiences and to be reminded of the judgement-free, supportive environment that the blogosphere is!

For now, I'm hoping to get started on the last book of the Sapphic Trifecta which I still need to read: The Unbroken by C.L. Clark. I still can't get over that cover...

Touraine is a soldier. Stolen as a child and raised to kill and die for the empire, her only loyalty is to her fellow conscripts. But now, her company has been sent back to her homeland to stop a rebellion, and the ties of blood may be stronger than she thought.

Luca needs a turncoat. Someone desperate enough to tiptoe the bayonet's edge between treason and orders. Someone who can sway the rebels toward peace, while Luca focuses on what really matters: getting her uncle off her throne.

Through assassinations and massacres, in bedrooms and war rooms, Touraine and Luca will haggle over the price of a nation. But some things aren't for sale.

Book Beginnings is at home on Rose City Reader, hosted by Gilion Dumas, and Friday 56 at Freda's Voice, hosted by Freda. I'll also be joining the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer.

BB:

'A sandstorm brewed dark and menacing against the Qazali horizon as Lieutenant Touraine and the rest of the Balladairan Colonial Brigade sailed into El-Wast, capital city of Qazal, foremost of Balladaire's southern colonies.
El-Wast. City of marble and sandstone, of olives and clay. City of the golden sun and fruits Touraine couldn't remember tasting. City of rebellious, uncivilized god-worshippers. The city where Touraine was born.' 
p.1

Well that's quite a lot of new words and new concepts and new places to get to know! I love when a fantasy book drops you straight into it though. And I already like the sound of El-Wast, and I'm already intrigued by Touraine.

F56:

'Touraine's head was thick and woolly. All she wanted to do was lie down and sleep. She took a shuddering breath and tried to get her bearings.
    She was lost.' p.56

Wait, what's happening to Touraine? I've only known her for half an hour but I'm already attached! I hope it's just a hangover, maybe, and not some weird kidnapping or mission gone awry. 

BBH:

This week's question was suggested by Cheryl from I Heart Fictional People (same girl!):

What genre do you refuse to read and why?

Oooh we're getting into the tough questions now! A few years back I would have said paranormal romance because I think I burned out on those after some extensive reading during my university years. But then now I'm actually not sure if there is a genre at this point which I would absolutely, outrightly refuse to read? 

Actually, I must admit that on NetGalley I tend to not request any books that are marked down as Christian romance. For me, my personal faith doesn't really click with romance because it's a personal thing that doesn't influence who I connect with... does that make any sense? But again, if someone was like 'you should read this book, it's amazing' and it turns out to be a Christian romance I'm not going to stomp my foot and refuse. 

So that's it for me! What do you think of The Unbroken? And is there a genre you would refuse reading?



Comments

  1. I'm really looking forward to this one! Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The opening descriptions of this book are intriguing - sure gets your attention and interest right away! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're feeling better--and that reading is a comforting activity at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds quite intense, I hope it's good.
    Mine is in French this time: https://francebooktours.com/2022/02/18/le-promeneur-sur-le-cap-friday-56-vendredi-lecture/
    I have free copies and also a giveaway, so if you read French or have friends who do, please pass the information along. Have a great week-end

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great excerpts, and now I am curious! Thanks for sharing. Here's mine: “FINLAY DONOVAN KNOCKS ‘EM DEAD”

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cover. It sounds like an interesting one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you're feeling better and enjoying your book! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been wanting to read The Unbroken and hope you continue to enjoy it, Juli!

    I don't know that I would refuse to read any particular genre out right. There are almost always exceptions that I end up loving even if it's not a genre or type of book I normally would gravitate towards. I imagine many of us feel that way. I appreciate that you mentioned burning out on a particular genre. That happened to me with romance for a number of years. I overdosed on it and then hardly touched it. I've since come back around to it and have added it back into my reading rotation. It's funny reading some of my earlier blog posts--from like ten years ago--and seeing how I felt then as compared to now. I think if I had to name types of books I shy away from most today, it would be erotica, westerns and Christian fiction. But regardless of genre or type, if a book synopsis interests me, I am willing to give it a try. Thank you for sharing! I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard a lot of good things about this one. I like the quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like an intense read, stolen as a child and raised to kill! I hope you enjoy it. I typically don't read Science fiction, fantasy, horror, and a few other things. https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/02/first-line-friday-39.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like an exciting read!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to admit, all the foriegn and alien world words, names, and places lost me on page 1. But the snippet was better. Not sure I'd read this unless I knew more about the series. But I'm glad you are enjoying it. My first Friday 56 and 1st line Friday are up - http://www.lyndonperrywriter.com/2022/02/first-line-friday-naked-in-death.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts