Friday Friyay: 'The Hunchback of Notre-Dame' by Victor Hugo

How is it December?! Anyway... last weekend I majorly got in the mood to watch Disney's The Hunchback of Notre-Dame and, despite the gargoyles, I adored it. SANCTUARY! Anyways, I remembered I recently bought a secondhand copy of the book, by Victor Hugo, and decided it was time to meet this classic. And I have been loving it so far! I once again can't find the exact edition I have on Goodreads (argh!) but this is the correct cover and blurb:

Set in 1482, The Hunchback of Notre-Dame (Notre-Dame de Paris) is a compelling story of love and betrayal, brutal deeds and one of the most famous acts of revenge in world literature.

Quasimodo, the hunchback of the title, is one of fiction's most extreme characters - beneath his monstrous disfigurement, his love for the beautiful Esmeralda reveals a heart full of intense emotion.

The novel is set in the Gothic splendour of the great cathedral of Notre-Dame and had a profound influence on the Romantic Movement.

Book Beginnings is at home on Rose City Reader, hosted by Gilion Dumas, and Friday 56 at Freda's Voice, hosted by Freda. I'll also be joining the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer.

BB:

'Book One, Chapter I: The Great Hall

One morning, three hundred and forty-eight years, six months and nineteen days ago, the Parisians were awakened by a grand peal from all the bells, within the triple enclosure of the City, the University and the Town.' p.1

I loved this opening, with its precise calculation of how long ago this story is set from when Hugo wrote it. This is actually one of my favourite things he does in this opening chapter; he keeps addressing the reader to make sure they have a good picture of where they are, what time, etc. It makes for a really fun tone while allowing for plenty of exposition and description.

F56:

'Book Two, Chapter III: Kisses for Blows

It is not easy to give an idea of the expression of proud and beatific joy which the melancholy and hideous visage of Quasimodo had attained in the journey from the Palace to the Greve. It was the first thrill of vanity that he had ever experienced. He had hitherto experienced nothing but humiliation, disdain at his condition, and disgust for his person.' p.56

You really can't help but feel bad for Quasimodo. He really reminds me of the Creature in Frankenstein here and there, completely hindered by his exterior but with a full internal life. I have reached exactly this point in the book so I haven't really gotten to know much about him yet, except that he is deaf, on top of being a hunchback. 

BBH:

This week's question was suggested by Julie over at Stepping Stones Book Reviews:

Why did you start a book blog?

Actually, I started it based on a recommendation from my English teacher. She told the whole class that a book blog might help us keep track of our thoughts on the books we were reading that year, as they were all tied together by theme. I think I was the only one who really followed up on that advice and then within a month I stopped blogging about the books we were reading in school and started posting general reviews. Then I discovered NetGalley and it was all down(or up?)hill from there!

So that is me! What are you reading? How are the quotes lining up with the Disney movie for you?

Comments

  1. One of these days I need to read this. I should rewatch the Disney movie sometime too!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great excerpts! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to read this one of these days. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the Disney adaption of this story but have not read the original. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the classics I want to read. I liked the film version too. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never read this one. I started a book blog because I wanted another place to talk about books! I have loved becoming part of the bookish community. Have a great weekend! https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2021/12/first-line-friday-28-debutantes-code.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't usually read classics and I haven't read this one. It sounds like a good one, though. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that opening too, and how Hugo handles that. It sets a definite sense of place and time!

    That's a great blog origin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a really engaging opening. I haven't seen the Disney adaptation in quite a while, and I've heard the book is a lot darker. I'll have to see if my library has a copy, I keep thinking I should read more classics, but haven't found one that appeals to me, this might be one.
    Thanks for visiting my blog! Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts