Ibsen's Friday


Gain New Blog Followers
It's Friday!!! That means meme time!!! Let's get started...Follow Friday is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee and this week's FF question is:
Q: Fight! Fight! If you could have two fictional characters battle it out(preferably from books), who would they be and who do you think would win?

I would just like to build up a fellowship of heroes, because it's more fun to be ina  group. I of course include myself in this fellowship. To travel and fight with these characters seems amazing. I would like to have Aragorn and Boromir from 'The Lord of the Rings' on my team. They are both pretty solid fighters and they both have something to fight for. Being so character-driven, I couldn't just use characters who are only meant to fight and have no other motivation. That's also why I want Eowyn, also 'LOTR' in my fellowship. She is simply an amazing character and she definitely showed she's not afraid of a fight. She beat the Witch King after all.

Next to that, I think I'd be pretty happy with Beowulf! He did after all defeat two monsters and a dragon. And I love Old English, so it would be a disgrace not to include the biggest hero of that time. And then I'd take Don Quixote along, to bring the crazy. His character fascinates me. A knight so obsessed by novels that he is unable to see reality for what it is. Every fellowship needs someone who is slightly cuckoo to keep it interesting. And he would have to bring Sancho Panza of course.Now I have a fellowship of 7, including moi, ready to take on the world.
Although I couldn't really decide on an enemy, I thought it would be  interesting to pitch all of these heroes against Jörmungandr, the Midgard Serpent. It would almost be a Dungeons & Dragons-esque re-enactment of the Ragnarök. I do have to admit I was slightly tempted  to let my heroes take on the Avengers, but they have Thor and I didn't like the idea of having Aragorn and Boromir, whose author was inspired  by Norse mythology, kick his ass.

I am actually so inspired by my crazy assemblage of heroes and their  common goal, I might dedicate myself to some creative writing over  the weekend. If it turns out good, I'll let you know



Book Beginnings is now hosted by Rose City Reader, instead of A Few More Pages, and Friday 56 by Freda's Voice. I chose Ibsen's 'The Lady from the Sea' because the title really intruiged me and I think the two memes above are a great way to get ready for a book (play in this case).
BB:

"Bolette: 'Well, Ballested -- can you get it to work?'Ballested: 'Why, certainly, miss. It's nothing, really. If you'll pardon the question -- are you expecting visitors today?'Bolette: 'Yes, we expect Mr. Arnholm here this morning. He arrived in town last night.' "
I realise this is more than just 2 lines, but with a play I think sometimes you need a bit more to truly grasp the beginning. I quite lines. We are immediately introduced to three characters and it is clear that the mysterious Mr. Arnholm will be crucial to the plotline.
F56:

"Lyngstrand: (sits for a time in silence, his arms resting ont he table, studying the wat Bolette works). 'It must really be very hard to sew a border like that, Miss Wangel.'Bolette: 'Oh, no, it's not so difficult -- if you keep your counting straight--'Lyngstrand: 'Counting? You mean you're counting as well?'Bolette: 'Yes, the stitches. See here.'Lyngstrand: 'Why, of course! That's amazing! You know, it's almost a kind of art. Can you also sketch?' "
The 56th page was accidentally the beginning of Act 4, the penultimate act. I feel there is some flirtation going on here, quite hilariously, because Lyngstrand makes an accomplishment out of possibly the most boring thing: sewing. But I think that Ibsen did that on purpose, to show how ridiculous not only the wooing process was, but also the focus on useless accomplishments for women. But, I still have no clue who the Lady from the Sea is or why the play is named such. I shall read the play and report back to you on that!

So, how about you? What are your answers? Leave a link in the comments!!!

Comments

  1. hehehe...I like your Friday 56! I laughed at 'You mean you're counting as well?' lol :) I will have to check back in to find out who the Lady of the Sea is! Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some fiiine choices!! Especially Aragorn and Boromir, those are epic characters!
    I'm sure the battle will be legen-wait for it-DARY!
    Thank you so much for stopping by my FF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm intrigued! When I think of Ibsen, I usually think of The Doll's House. I like these snippets....

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some epic characters. I love Beowolf. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm following by gfc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is visually stimulating, at least for my imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot about the casts of LOTR, especially Legolas, I'd love to include them in my team. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm following via Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Returned the follow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome fellowship! I'd totally love to join such a wicked cool fellowship of badass fighters ;)


    Thanks for stopping by!
    :) Aeicha Word Spelunking

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great answer!
    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts