Friday Friyay: 'Three Dark Crowns' by Kendare Blake

 Happy Friday! For once I am happy to report that I got a whole mountain of reading done during my days off! It was truly a never-ending reading-fest. And then I got back to work and found exactly zero time to write any reviews. So I'm hoping to catch up on that during the weekend, although, now that I've caught the reading-fever once again, I also have a list of books I want to read. One of the books from the TBR I've finally decided to try and sit down with is Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake. Every since it came out in 2016, I've been dying to read it. So here we finally go!

When kingdom come, there will be one.

In every generation on the island of Fennbirn, a set of triplets is born—three queens, all equal heirs to the crown and each possessor of a coveted magic. Mirabella is a fierce elemental, able to spark hungry flames or vicious storms at the snap of her fingers. Katharine is a poisoner, one who can ingest the deadliest poisons without so much as a stomachache. Arsinoe, a naturalist, is said to have the ability to bloom the reddest rose and control the fiercest of lions.

But becoming the Queen Crowned isn’t solely a matter of royal birth. Each sister has to fight for it. And it’s not just a game of win or lose…it’s life or death. The night the sisters turn sixteen, the battle begins.

The last queen standing gets the crown. 

Book Beginnings is at home on Rose City Reader, hosted by Gilion Dumas, and Friday 56 at Freda's Voice, hosted by Freda. Freda is taking a break at the moment, but Anne over at My Head is Full of Books is thankfully keeping the spirit going! I'll also be joining the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer

BB:

'A young queen stands barefoot on a wooden block with her arms outstretched. She has only her scant underclothes and the long, black hair that hangs down her back to fend off the drafts. Every once of strength in her slight frame is needed to keep her chin high and her shoulders square.' 1%

Love the imagery of this. It immediately brings Anne Boleyn to mind for me, which is probably on purpose, so now I'm all set for tragic queens, death, and betrayal. I do know this book switches POV between the sisters quite a bit and I'm not always super good with that, as I like to find my character and stick with them, but we'll see how it goes.

F56

'The Arrons are entrenched at Greavesdrake. And it is more than their poisons and their morbid artwork on the walls - still lifes of butchered meat and flowers, and black snakes curled around nudes. They have seeped into the manor itself. Now every inch of wood and shadow is also a part of them.' 56%

I just loved the descriptiveness of this, of how this family has seeped into its house? I don't think I'd be a big fan of the still lifes of meat, but I am oddly intrigued by the nudes and black snakes. Don't know what that says about me, except that I have a taste for the Gothic.

BBH

This week's question was submitted by Elizabeth from Silver's Reviews:

How do you organize your bookshelves?

Excellent question, to which I have a disappointing and slightly hypocritical answer. See, at the university where I currently work, they have organised the university library in such a way that it's not organised by topic or field, but rather by 'Most Recent'. And I hate it. I want to be able to browse my university shelves and find related material surrounding the book I came for. And now I can't. The thing that makes me a hypocrite is that I mostly do this at home as well. 

When I get a new book, I add it to the pile, which is on a shelf. Once I've read it, I might squeeze it in next to books that it reminded me of, but there is no real system in place. I have friends whose bookshelves are organized by title, or author, or actively by genre, or even by colour of the spine. My system is entirely vibes-based.

That's it for me this week! What are you reading? And how do your shelves look?

Comments

  1. That book sounds like an emotional and exciting read.

    Ergh I am also a hypocrite. I love organisation and knowing where things are spreadsheets etc but my books are all over the place. We have shelves in every room. The problem occurs on shelves like the hanging ones on the wall going up the stairs which can only hold certain sizes of books so they are filled with random books! Maybe one day they will get properly sorted...

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/02/23/book-blogger-hop-how-do-you-organise-your-bookshelves/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely devoured 'Three Dark Crowns' yesterday and did very much enjoy it. And I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who's like this!! I'm just like a book-hoarding dragon who needs them all over the place.
      Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of a university library that is organized by "most recent." That would be frustrating to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! What's wrong with them? I guess it might be easier on the library staff to organise, in which case I can't be mad about it, but for me it doesn't make sense. Thankfully our faculty library is organised properly by theme xD Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  3. Great excerpts! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very fun reading experience! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  4. It's not my usual genre, but this sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It ended up being right up my alley! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  5. A queenly version of Hunger Games, huh? I've heard of this author. Are you enjoying her writing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg I've been wondering what it was reminding me of and 'a queenly version of the Hunger Games' really is it! Now I know where Blake got the idea from xD I did enjoy the book although it did feel a bit dependent on tropes/quick development at times. The pace moves very quickly and things just kind of happen, at times, but it made for a great Friday evening. Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  6. I am glad you were able to get a lot of reading done during your break! I have heard great things about Kendare Blake but haven't read anything by her. Three Dark Crowns sounds good! I hope you are enjoying it.

    I need organization and my physical bookshelves reflect that. I wouldn't be able to find anything if I didn't put them in some sort of order. My e-books are an example of what happens when I'm not organized. LOL So many hidden gems I probably have forgotten all about!

    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also knew of her before I started this book and I did enjoy it, and will eventually read the rest of the series I'm sure, but it did skew a bit "young", if that makes sense? The world is not as complex or worked out as I enjoy, at this point in my Fantasy reading. And oh God I hadn't even thought about the mess that is my E-book library xD Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  7. LOL - you won't like my bookshelves then. I organize by the date I have read them. :)

    That is an odd way to organize for a university...sorry it is difficult for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do actually like that, I think that's a lovely way to have almost like a physical reading diary? I just don't think I could personally stick to it, I'd mess it up within two weeks! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  8. This book sounds really good. It's been on my TBR list since 2016 too. Maybe I'll get around to reading it soon. I hope you enjoy it! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it, it was a quick and fun read with loads of interesting ideas and imagery. It is not necessarily the deepest of books, but I think you'll have a good time with it! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  9. Organizing by "most recent" seems to make sense for an at-home personal collection, but for a university library? That's crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I'm so appreciative of the validation for my library rage I'm getting in these comments xD Thankfully we have a faculty library organised by subject that I can rely on for the most. Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  10. I remember blazing through the THREE DARK CROWN books in Mar-Apr 2020! They were a wonderful distraction at the time. I'm appalled to hear about your university library's organization system. 😲 But for my personal library, I have a similar approach as you, haha. I group books together by how I feel like they related. This does lead to some natural grouping of middle grade fantasy, Tolkien-related non-fiction, etc. but in those groups, books are just organized by how they look together or how they fit on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts