Then and Now #51 (28/8/23 - 3/9/23)

Happy Sunday and welcome to July!  The Sunday Post is a blog news meme hosted @ Caffeinated Reviewer. See rules here: Sunday Post MemeMailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came in their mailbox during the last week.  It is hosted weekly over at Mailbox Monday and every Friday they do a round-up of some of their favourite, shared reads! 

Last Week

How is it September?! Time is flying and I'm busy, but I keep being surprised by the way my to-do list is developing. Things I thought were ages away are now happening this weekend and other things are already three months ago... Anyways, I had a pretty productive week, got quite some work and research things done. Most of that was in the lead-up to this weekend, though, because there was a two-day conference for Doctoral Candidates who work within Scandinavian Studies in Munich. I hadn't been to Munich in what feels like decades, so I really enjoyed getting to go back to the city. I was quite nervous about giving my paper, mainly because it was the first time I really presented it to people within my field who weren't my direct supervisors. Also, I got to present in German, which was its own kind of challenge. But I think the whole thing went well, people seemed engaged with my topic, and the questions were interesting. And all the other papers and the research other PhDs are doing is so interesting! There's such a wide range of topics people can work on within Scandinavian Studies and I was really glad to get to see so much of it at this conference!

Now I'm, of course, knackered, and writing this in my hotel room before the closest museum opens, so I can gaze at some art before I hop back onto a train, where I'll probably fall asleep. I'm surprised with how smooth the train traveling went this weekend, especially because there's quite a few connections which are currently "under repair" so I had to resort to bus replacements etc. But all's well that ends well! And my godmother's daughters dropped by to check on my cat while I was away and sent me cute photos, which helped with the separation anxiety. He doesn't know I'll have to abandon him next weekend again as well... Because of the conference prep I didn't get a whole lot of reading done this week, but I did finally push some reviews out, yay!

Posted this week:

Recommendation
I have been enjoying this The Elder Scrolls kind of ambient background while writing this week, so I thought I'd share that with you! The channel, Ambient Worlds, makes really good videos in my opinion.


Mailbox Monday
Nothing! I did go to a bookstore here in Munich and almost dropped 50 Euros on new books, but I managed to restrain myself when I remembered the very limited space in my bag.

A short but sweet one today! Fingers crossed, I'll have WiFi on the train, so if I don't fall asleep, I'll start hopping around then. I hope you all have a lovely week!

Comments

  1. Oh nice! Glad your presentation went well and the conference too! I have such anxiety when it comes to presenting. I've never liked being the center of attention! Lol.

    And yay for your restraint at the bookstore! Luggage space is always something to consider. I know that's what kept me from grabbing/bringing all the free books I got at my first conference. That some weren't to my interests helped a lot! Lol.

    Hope you have a great week ahead!


    Here's my StS

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your successful presentation.
    I hope your return train journey goes smoothly.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the presentation went well! Scandinavian studies sounds fascinating, honestly.

    I love ambient videos like that...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts