Friday Friyay: 'The Poppy War' by R.F. Kuang

Another slow reading week, as I was not feeling very well and got stressed by work things! I was even told I looked tired, which must mean I looked real bad cause I'm always tired xD So I tried to take it  a little easier throughout the week and not put too much pressure on myself. That means not a whole lot happened, in the sense I once again have no reviews to show y'all, but it does mean I feel a little better. This weekend, I'm hoping to start The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang. I've had this book for ages and never got around to it, even though I really enjoyed her Babel earlier this year! So, now's the time!

When Rin aced the Keju, the test to find the most talented students in the Nikara Empire, it was a shock to everyone. That she got into Sinegard - the most elite military school in Nikan - was even more surprising.

But surprises aren't always good.

Because being a dark-skinned peasant girl from the south is not an easy thing at Sinegard. Fighting the prejudice of rival classmates, Rin discovers that she possesses a lethal, unearthly power - an aptitude for the nearly-mythical art of shamanism. Exploring her gift with the help of a seemingly insane teacher, Rin learns that gods long thought dead are very much alive - and that mastering these powers could mean more than just surviving school.

For while the Empire is at peace, the Federation of Mugen still lurks across a narrow sea. The Federation occupied Nikan for decades after the First Poppy War, and only barely lost the continent in the Second. And while most people calmly go about their lives, a few are aware that a Third Poppy War is just a spark away...

Book Beginnings is at home on Rose City Reader, hosted by Gilion Dumas, and Friday 56 at Freda's Voice, hosted by Freda. I'll also be joining the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted WriterAll quotes are taken from an ARC and may be different in the published book.

BB:

"Take your clothes off."

Rin blinked. "What?" p.1

Yeah I was not expecting that opening. I would very much be surprised if that was a question that came up anywhere in the vicinity of an exam I had to take. I like that we get dropped right into it though, that we are immediately wondering what is going on and why. I'm also immediately identifying with Rin, so that's a good thing.

F56:

'Rin fought the absurd urge to burst out laughing. Here on the other side of the country was at least one thing she was familiar with.

"We're going to be expelled," Venka wailed.' p.56

This book is over 500 pages long, so this quote is still from the very beginning, but I couldn't help but laugh. I love that there is already some clear differences between Rin and the others, but that they still end up in the same weird situations. I did also see what the "familiar" thing is, and now I'm very intrigued to see how we got there and how it could get them into trouble.

BBH:

This week's question was suggested by Billy himself:

Do you have a routine for getting ready to read?

Excellent question and I'm super curious to see everyone else's answers. I don't really know if I have a routine, and yet certain things do really need to be "in order" for me to properly get into it. I need something to drink nearby that'll last me more than half an hour. I'd like my cat curled up near me. I would prefer to have a snack at hand as well, tbh. Maybe some background music, and preferably nothing else on the agenda for the day. 

And that's it for me this week! What are y'all reading? And have you read The Poppy War?

Comments

  1. I have heard good things about The Poppy War and I really liked Babel a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That opening made me laugh with surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Babel queued up on my phone to listen to next. Do you like the writing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read The Poppy War but have seen a lot of praise for it. The quotes are interesting. Enjoy your current read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one on my wishlist! Hoping you feel better! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts