Friday Friyay: 'Little Eve' by Catriona Ward

Happy Friday! It feels like it has been ages since I posted on the blog, which is fair cause it has been like 2.5 weeks. I have been reading though, if slowly and if mostly for work, but it's something! I'm going to try and use this weekend to actually sit down and prep some posts in advance! And there are one or two reviews I have been waiting to finish up, so those are coming as well. But clearly I need to work on my time-management skills a little. But here's what I'm hoping to read next: Little Eve by Catriona Ward. While I didn't necessarily love The Last House on Needless Street I am still obsessed with her novel Rawblood so naturally I wanted to give Little Eve a go.

From Catriona Ward, author of The Last House on Needless Street, comes the Shirley Jackson Award-winning novel Little Eve, a heart-pounding tale of faith and family, with a devastating twist

“A great day is upon us. He is coming. The world will be washed away.”

On the wind-battered isle of Altnaharra, off the wildest coast of Scotland, a clan prepares to bring about the end of the world and its imminent rebirth.

The Adder is coming and one of their number will inherit its powers. They all want the honor, but young Eve is willing to do anything for the distinction.

A reckoning beyond Eve’s imagination begins when Chief Inspector Black arrives to investigate a brutal murder and their sacred ceremony goes terribly wrong.

And soon all the secrets of Altnaharra will be uncovered.

Book Beginnings is at home on Rose City Reader, hosted by Gilion Dumas, and Friday 56 at Freda's Voice, hosted by Freda. I'll also be joining the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer.

BB:

'Dinah
1921

My heart is a dark passage, lined with ranks of gleaming jars. In each one something floats.' 1%

Love this opening. Don't know who Dinah is yet, but this kind of imagery is why I adore Catriona Ward's writing. It's so haunting, but also very recognisable somehow? Or is that just me...


F56
:

'I am upright in bed, my flesh crawling with horror. XXX stares at me.' 56%

I replaced a name with XXX here, which is, I think, the first time I have edited a quote for this meme, but I didn't want to spoil anything. I did want to share it though because I love how this works together with the opening line. We already got something a little creepy from Dinah, now there is something else that is horrifying and terrifying. 

BBH:

This week's question was suggested by Billy himself:

Which print size do you prefer: small, medium, or large?

Hhmm, I feel like this is a difficult question to answer because it totally depends on how I'm reading, if that makes sense. In general I have my print size pretty small on my Kindle because if it's too big I loose the feeling of having a full page in front of me, if that makes sense. I find it impossible to read on my phone though because I can't find a good size there. It is always an exercise in frustration. 

In general I'd say I lean towards either small or medium. Too big always makes for heavy books xD I think this will probably change as I get older though! My eyes won't enjoy the small fonts for long!

That's it for me! What do you think of Little Eve? And what print size is your favourite? 

Comments

  1. I'm really looking forward to this one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I can tell from it so far it's beautifully Gothic and moody! I'd love to know what you think if you read it. Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  2. Little Eve does sound dark! Good though.

    I prefer a medium print and I like that you can change the font size on your phone and kindle. Like you say though if it gets a bit too big then it can be a bother!

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/11/25/book-blogger-hop-which-print-size-do-you-prefer-small-medium-or-large/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha it definitely fits the winter mood of dark and cold nights xD And that's a definite advantage of digital reading, adjusting it! Because even though I prefer a smaller size, sometimes I'm just too tired and make it larger. Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  3. I'm curious for more, especially since you XXX'd the name! ;-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha yesss, that was a tease ;) Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  4. I've never read anything by this author but it does sound like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her writing is quite dark and a little confronting sometimes, but it's also very human so I really enjoy it! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  5. I'm definitely intrigued! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaay sounds like I picked the right quotes then xD Thanks for dropping by and have a lovely weekend!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts