Friday Friyay: 'Weep, Woman, Weep' by Maria DeBlasie

 Today I'm sharing from one of the books I intended to read for spooky October but now it's the 29th and work has completely taken over this month for me. But I am really hoping to get to this one this weekend, so fingers crossed! Join me for Weep, Woman, Weep by Maria DeBlasie!

A compelling gothic fairytale by bruja and award-winning writer Maria DeBlassie.

The women of Sueño, New Mexico don’t know how to live a life without sorrows. That’s La Llorona’s doing. She roams the waterways looking for the next generation of girls to baptize, filling them with more tears than any woman should have to hold. And there’s not much they can do about the Weeping Woman except to avoid walking along the riverbank at night and to try to keep their sadness in check. That’s what attracts her to them: the pain and heartache that gets passed down from one generation of women to the next.

Mercy knows this, probably better than anyone. She lost her best friend to La Llorona and almost found a watery grave herself. But she survived. Only she didn’t come back quite right and she knows La Llorona won’t be satisfied until she drags the one soul that got away back to the bottom of the river.

In a battle for her life, Mercy fights to break the chains of generational trauma and reclaim her soul free from ancestral hauntings by turning to the only things that she knows can save her: plant medicine, pulp books, and the promise of a love so strong not even La Llorona can stop it from happening. What unfolds is a stunning tale of one woman’s journey into magic, healing, and rebirth.

Book Beginnings is at home on Rose City Reader, hosted by Gilion Dumas, and Friday 56 at Freda's Voice, hosted by Freda. I'll also be joining the Book Blog Hop, hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. 

BB:

'I am built for tears.
    It's in my blood. The women in my family didn't know how to have a life without sorrows. If they couldn't find any, they made them.' 1%
Well this hits all the spots I could possible ask for in a Gothic read! Drama, tears, blood, sorrows, family history, legacy, upcoming misery!

F56:

'I nodded. If it was one thing I understood, it was the drive to plant things and make your home on a piece of land that spoke to you.' 56%

Very much adore this as well! I'm honestly low-key terrible at keeping plants alive but that is because it takes me a while for them to become part of my space, which is mostly countless books and one cat. Once they're a part of it, of my home, however, I do feel rather attached to them!

BBH:

This week's question was suggested by our host Billy from Coffee Addicted Writer:

Have you ever read a book on Halloween? If so, what was the title?

I initially wondered how to interpret this question! Do you mean reading a book on Halloween as in on the date? Absolutely! While I love a fun Halloween party, even if I'm horrible at dress up, I do love curling up with a book either earlier in the day or while skipping a party whose dresscode/costume request was above my paygrade. Do I remember the titles... not really. Oops.

Another way I thought about this question was whether I had ever read a book on Halloween, as in, about Halloween itself. The answer to that is no, but I would love to because the whole Hallow's Eve, pagan tradition, day where the veil between the living and dead is at its thinnest, the whole of that is fascinating to me. SO if anyone else interpreted the question this way, I hope to pick up some recommendations!

Happy Halloween everyone!

Comments

  1. So sad! But in a way, it is hopeful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great choice for this time of year! I hope it's one of the highlights of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds quite intense!
    Mine is a historical novel/bio set in France: https://francebooktours.com/2021/10/26/katherines-wish-first-chapter-first-paragraph-book-beginnings/
    Do you like it? Fee free to request your copy and review it in your own time.
    You can also enter the giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  4. The story of La Llorona has always kinda terrified me, but this sounds like the perfect read for this time of year. I'm definitely curious for more. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good book to spend your weekend with. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roaming ghosts are a popular theme in some Chinese literature too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it sounds lovely!! I like that cover too! Happy Halloween weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts