Reader's Block Remedy: Webtoons

 I was going to start this post with a declaration of how much I love to read, but that feels a bit overdone. I mean, this is a book blog. Every single post here is about books, in one way or another. So let me start this differently. Sometimes I can't read. There are weeks in which I can't seem to build up the perseverance and mental quiet to really read a book. Sometimes it is because my mind is too loud with too many other things taking up space. At other times I can't decide whether I want something calm and easy that will let me face whatever else I need to do or something utterly engrossing that will make me forget everything else I need to do. The most difficult thing about this reader's block is that I still need the escapism, the peace that reading brings. Reader's block is like a vicious cycle for me. The less creative stimulus I get, the more despondent my mind gets, the harder it becomes to build up the effort to read. 

So what can I do? Well, recently I found a way to counteract this reader's block, not by forcing myself to read a book but by engaging with the creativity and escapism in a gentler way. I've done this by making a Webtoons account. I know, shocking. So trendsetter, much avant-garde. I have absolutely loved the stories I have found on Webtoons. The little notification I get every time a new episode is up is like a spark of joy. Marie Kondo would approve! What these cartoons do is they allow me to engage with all the best things about reading and creativity in short bursts, engaging my mind and keeping me fresh until I have the time and space to dig into a book. It's like a mini-exercise for my reading-muscle, making sure that the next time I do a reading-marathon I don't pull any muscles!

Since I know I'm not the only reader staring down the gaping maw of reader's block, I thought I'd share my favourite Webtoons with you, as well as the books they remind me of. And just so we're all clear, this is in not an ad for Webtoons. This, if anything, is a strong recommendation of the three toons below!

Lore Olympus by Rachel Smythe

Witness what the gods do…after dark. The friendships and the lies, the gossip and the wild parties, and of course, forbidden love. Because it turns out, the gods aren’t so different from us after all, especially when it comes to their problems. Stylish and immersive, this is one of mythology’s greatest stories -- The Taking of Persephone -- as it’s never been told before.

Yes! I love Greek mythology! I love Persephone! I love Hades! Lore Olympus was actually the cartoon that brought me to Webtoons. I had seen it pretty much everywhere but, being me, never got into it. So, in the depths of a reader's block in November, I decided to retreat to the corner in which I've found comfort since I was a child: myth. Smythe's Lore Olympus was a soothing balm to my stressed mind.

Lore Olympus is the story of Persephone, and sorta of Hades. As she gets to know the other Gods and her own powers, Persephone grows from sheltered child to determined young woman. This is accompanied by beautiful art, fluid and colourful, full of personality and humour. Smythe's style develops and grows enormously through the seasons. Lore Olympus also addresses serious topics such as sexual assault, accompanied by trigger warnings, but does so carefully and empathetically.

Books it reminds me ofCirce by Madeline Miller. Like Miller's stunner of a novel, Lore Olympus tells us the story of a young woman growing into her powers. Where Circe is earnest, however, Lore Olympus is utterly adorable.

Find the author on: Twitter, Instagram, RedBubble, Linktree

The Secrets of Soulford by The Quincil

Gan Ainm just wants to live an invisible life in her new home, Soulford; but a local guard is far too determined to uncover the secrets she's desperate to hide, especially since Gan is certain he's also concealing secrets of his own. The resulting feud may unravel deeper mysteries than either of them were prepared to face. 

Where Lore Olympus is a burst of colour, The Secrets of Soulford is a soothing surge of parchment. Illustrated in black and white on said parchment-background, The Secrets of Soulford tells to story of Gan as she tries to build a new life in Soulford.This is a world of magic and centaurs, but also of gentle ribbing and friendship. 

The Secrets of Soulford has actually made me laugh out loud and the characterizations are brilliantly done. When I need active cheering up, this is where I go! The faces are drawn so expressively and the story is a good combination between high-stakes and pure fun. The Quincil is slowly expanding the world and bringing in more characters and details, which means I am now eagerly awaiting every update.

Book it reminds me of: Somehow this reminds me of The Blacksmith Queen by G.A. Aiken. Irreverent, magic, funny, with a dark edge, both are great fun!

Find the author on: Twitter, Instagram, Linktree, RedBubble

The Witch by Nich the Lich

A lonely timeless Witch trying to find someone to watch the trees grow with.

I go to Lore Olympus for the joy of recognition and to The Secrets of Soulford for the joy of discovery. The Witch is different. It is less of a connected story and more episodic, a breath of fresh air every time. I am enraptured by the imagery and the gentleness of it. There is also a trace of sadness throughout the tales, a whiff of nostalgia, which usually syncs perfectly with my own mood.

The style is stunning, beautifully emotive and evocative. Especially when attention is paid to nature, every frame feels like a mini-holiday. The different stories of the witch are touching, introducing us to different characters and locations without ever bringing in any of the pressure reading sometimes does. You can let this story sweep you away effortlessly. Also, I am craving this art. I want it on my walls.

Book it reminds me of: Folk by Zoe Gilbert. Short, interconnected stories of immeasurable beauty, sadness, joy, nature, and perseverance.

Find the author on: Twitter, InstagramPatreon, Linktree

Necahual by 2Heroes (Crystal Galloway and Sergio Silvia)

Three young girls are chosen to protect their people, but are they ready for the challenges to come?

This is a riotous story of three girls chosen to become divine warriors to protect their people against a mysterious new threat. This series so far has been utterly joyful. Drawn mostly in black and white, with the occasional burst of colour, there is a joy behind this story that makes me happy. It also introduced me to a different drawing style and a different cultural mythology, that of Meso-America.

Necahual updates a little bit more erratically than the other stories but I'm always happy to wait for it. There is an active energy to these drawings that both feels more traditional and is yet very refreshing. 

Book it reminds me of: There are a lot of books about girls discovering new powers and growing into themselves, but this has pointed out a solid lack in my reading when it comes to Meso-American culture. It has definitely inspired me to expand!

Find the authors on: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram

I will probably end up sharing more if and when I discover more, if you guys find them useful as well! Is there anything you do to get through reader's block?

Comments

  1. Thanks for the very kind review of The Witch! I'm so glad you enjoyed it <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts