It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



This meme is hosted by BookJourney.

I am going on a holiday to Barcelona tomorrow, so I have to be very economical with the books I bring. Thank the Lord for my Kindle! I really do not know what I would do without it!

Last Week:

'Tis  A Pity She's A Whore' by John Ford.
I finished this play last week and wrote an analysis of it: Gender and Power in 'Tis A Pity'. It was quite a challenging read!


Next to this one I reread 'The Shadow of the Wind' and 'The Angel's Game' by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.


This Week:


So, to Barcelona I am taking 'The Glass Palace' by Amitav Ghosh. 



Rajkumar is only another boy, helping on a market stall in the dusty square outside the royal palace, when the British force the Burmese king, queen and all the court into exile. He is rescued by the far-seeing Chinese merchant, and with him builds up a logging business in upper Burma. But haunted by his vision of the royal family, he journeys to the obscure town in India where they have been exiled.
The picture of the tension between the Burmese, the Indian and the British, is excellent. Among the great range of characters are one of the court ladies, Miss Dolly, whom he marries; and the redoubtable Jonakin, part of the British-educated Indian colony, who with her husband has been put in charge of the Burmese exiled court.
The story follows the fortunes – rubber estates in Malaya, businesses in Singapore, estates in Burma – which Rajkumar, with his Chinese, British and Burmese relations, friends and associates, builds up – from 1870 through World War II to the scattering of the extended family to New York and Thailand, London and Hong Kong in the post-war years.

It just sounds very exciting! And because I am taking my Kindle I will probably dabble in some Emily Bronte, Austen, Shakespeare or Zafon while lying on the beach!

What are you reading this week? Anything special planned for your bookshelf?

Comments

  1. The Glass Palace sounds like a very good read. :) The Indian and the Brit? fascinating stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds very complex to me ... hope you enjoy it.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clearing you read books that are much more challenging than I do. I am glad that you enjoy them. Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Glass Palace sounds like the perfect exciting book to read on vacation! Have a great trip.
    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy happy reading this week :) It's gonna be a hot one!
    The Brunette Librarian Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the best thing about the ereaders is when you go on vacation. You can "bring" as many books as you want while only having to pack the ereader itself!

    Enjoy your holiday and hope you get in some good reading time!
    Kristin @ Always With a Book

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm interested in your thoughts on The Glass Palace. I bought it many years ago second hand but have yet to pick it up and read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice! Those are all new to me but I hope you enjoy your reads for the week!


    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you have a great time in Barcelona! Get some good reading done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness I don't know what sound better - the books or the trip. I hope you have an amazing time and can get some reading in too! :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog this week - enjoy your reads!

    Bonnie @ wordsathome.ca

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barcelona sounds amazing! I hope you have a wonderful time! and I think I'll have to look into The Glass Palace and Tis A Pity She's A Whore.
    Have a great trip and a great weekend!

    Aspen

    ps. I've nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award because I enjoy your blog :)

    http://inner-aspen.blogspot.com/2012/07/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts